XU4 Cloudshell 2

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
johnvick
Legend

XU4 Cloudshell 2

Post by johnvick »

As an owner of the Cloudshell 1 I have been thinking of getting one of the above to replace my old QNAP TS-212 which is used for backup only. I can pull the 2 x 3 TB drives and put them in the Cloudshell 2 to have a better performing NAS at reasonable cost.

http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products ... 9142327280 Is the link to the Cloudshell 2.

I wouldn't want to leave this on all day for power considerations. This link tells how to wake the device up using the RTC (extra low-cost purchase from Odroid). Tested and this works.

https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/appl ... rtc_wakeup

Shutting down can be done with cron but my question is, is it possible to create cron events outside of cron.daily or cron.weekly with DietPi to fine tune these events? I've tried crontab in the past without success.

As an aside this device would have been much more appealing if it could house four drives and RAID 5/6.

John
elton

Re: XU4 Cloudshell 2

Post by elton »

Hello John.
I have been thinking of getting one of the above to replace my old QNAP TS-212 which is used for backup only. I can pull the 2 x 3 TB drives and put them in the Cloudshell 2
Oh you too :)
Shutting down can be done with cron but my question is, is it possible to create cron events outside of cron.daily or cron.weekly with DietPi to fine tune these events? I've tried crontab in the past without success.
You know about the dietpi-cron to schedule when jobs fire?

Outside of that should be normal cron formatting in files like: /etc/cron.daily/*

If you are having issues with forming the entry for cron (syntax can be a PITA) try an online tool like:
https://crontab-generator.org

Sounds like your use might be like mine - where you want to turn the Cloudshell/XU4 on with the RTC, do your backups, then spin the unit back offline? If so, perhaps instead of tacking the shutdown into cron, you could tack it onto end of backup script (assuming you are using a solution that scriptable to do your backups).
This link tells how to wake the device up using the RTC (extra low-cost purchase from Odroid). Tested and this works.
Thanks for this. I never realized the RTC could be used like this.

As an aside this device would have been ... RAID 5/6.

Issue with the Odroid solutions is the power envelope on the power adapters really. Lots of companies seem weary and harder to sell solutions with adapter that gets larger on AMPs it seems.

Plus dealing with shared USB 3.0 single channel regardless of how many drives. So they can't envision data hoarders like us wanting to string more drives onto one of these little boards since small channel vs. many drives.

What I am considering instead of the Cloudshell is a Mediasonic 4 bay USB 3.0 dock. Just a 4 bay unit for the drives and out the back goes USB 3.0 cable to the Odroid XU4. The Mediasonic is about $100 and they have an open frame dock at about $70. Note: Same single USB 3.0 channel at play with this - just gives 4 bays which I find more appealing and needed for mass storage.

Have tested this with the HC-1 XU4 derivative and works splendidly. Unsure about how it performs on throughput, but assuming it's much like the Cloudshell would. It's way faster than my QNAP and Synology cheapies.
johnvick
Legend

Re: XU4 Cloudshell 2

Post by johnvick »

Oh you too :)
Yes big Ordoid fan :)
Thanks for this link it reminded me that Webmin can do the same. Just tried this out with Webmin and it worked whereas my manal crontab creations didn't.
Sounds like your use might be like mine - where you want to turn the Cloudshell/XU4 on with the RTC, do your backups, then spin the unit back offline? If so, perhaps instead of tacking the shutdown into cron, you could tack it onto end of backup script (assuming you are using a solution that scriptable to do your backups).
Similar use - I backup my QNAP TS-420 to the TS-212 with the latter having external drives. It's very slow but it doesn't really need to be fast the backup is done with the QNAP hybrid backup and runs automatically every Sunday. I like the idea of replacing the 212 with Cloudshell 2 and now it can power on and off on its own looks even better.
What I am considering instead of the Cloudshell is a Mediasonic 4 bay USB 3.0 dock. Just a 4 bay unit for the drives and out the back goes USB 3.0 cable to the Odroid XU4. The Mediasonic is about $100 and they have an open frame dock at about $70. Note: Same single USB 3.0 channel at play with this - just gives 4 bays which I find more appealing and needed for mass storage.
Looks an interesting device.

John