RPi 3 running DietPi/PMS - can't see USB drive over network?

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
wizardbynight

RPi 3 running DietPi/PMS - can't see USB drive over network?

Post by wizardbynight »

Hi all, I'm new to DietPi and just want to say it seems a fantastic piece of software. I've set it up on a Pi 3 and have so far installed Samba and Plex Media Server. I have a 4TB NTFS 2.5" drive connected over USB and that has all my media on it. When I setup my Plex libraries the drive showed up as its UUID handle, and let add all my media fine.

The problem I'm having is that when I connect to the Samba share using my laptop only the Pi SD card is visible. What do I need to do to get my USB drive to show up over the network?

Thanks in advance.
lucasmenno

Re: RPi 3 running DietPi/PMS - can't see USB drive over netw

Post by lucasmenno »

Hey there ~

As described here by our glourious system creator ;)

http://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f ... art=10#p56

You can change the default folder for the Samba share.
I've created a mountpoint myself, so i dont know where your HDD is mounted default. But i would guess its in /mnt/<UUID>
Everything i say can and maybe will be corrected by the DietPi seniors in this forum :D
BananaPi M1 using image for BananaPi Pro.
-1TB HDD, Network storage,Downloader(JD,Deluge,ripme) testing what looks interesting.
wizardbynight

Post by wizardbynight »

Ahhh, I looked at that earlier but I didn't twig. So I can just change the default path to /mnt/[UUID] and it'll share my drive instead? I opened the Samba config file earlier and it warned to use DietPi to make changes, but I couldn't find anything in the menus. Will give this a go now.

UPDATE: It worked! It was that simple. I was overthinking it because in the past (with Raspbian) I've had to create a directory and mount the external drive to that folder.
lucasmenno

Post by lucasmenno »

You can still do that like you did with Raspbian.
But our FourDee has made best affords to make it as simple as possible ;)
Everything i say can and maybe will be corrected by the DietPi seniors in this forum :D
BananaPi M1 using image for BananaPi Pro.
-1TB HDD, Network storage,Downloader(JD,Deluge,ripme) testing what looks interesting.