Realtek 8188 Wi-Fi Adapter Kernel Panic Topic is solved

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
mishaor

Re: Realtek 8188 Wi-Fi Adapter Kernel Panic

Post by mishaor »

lucasmenno wrote:Maybe we are hunting the wrong driver for the device? Some vendors throw the same device on the market but with different chips. :roll:

What does lsusb say about your wireless stick? :?:

To rule everything out, what power cable are you using on your device (Volt and Ampeere)?
So, here's what lsusb says about my Wi-Fi stick:

Code: Select all

Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0bda:8176 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188CUS 802.11n WLAN Adapter
The USB cable is official, from Orange Pi AliExpress store. The charger is Greenheart (from Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini), outputting 5 Volts and 850 mA.
lucasmenno

Post by lucasmenno »

Are there by any chance 2 modules active in your system?

find -L /lib/modules/  -name 8192cu.ko | awk '{ print "ls -lt "$1 }' | sh
and some other things i noticed are; in in cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-rtl8192cu.conf eingetragen "blacklist rtl8192cu" ?

Maybe disabling power saving in the device: in /etc/modprobe.d/8192cu.conf

options 8192cu rtw_power_mgnt=0 rtw_enusbss=0
Other than this im nearly out of my knowledge and a fresh start of compiling and installing dietpi would make a success :(

_____
Some info in other forums where saying that you would need a minimum of 2A power for the OrangePi and some/this stick to work (explained by the fact, that the kernel would only give out kernel panic. The system crashing meaning a 'unstable' / not enough power :|
Everything i say can and maybe will be corrected by the DietPi seniors in this forum :D
BananaPi M1 using image for BananaPi Pro.
-1TB HDD, Network storage,Downloader(JD,Deluge,ripme) testing what looks interesting.
mishaor

Post by mishaor »

lucasmenno wrote:Are there by any chance 2 modules active in your system?

find -L /lib/modules/  -name 8192cu.ko | awk '{ print "ls -lt "$1 }' | sh
and some other things i noticed are; in in cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-rtl8192cu.conf eingetragen "blacklist rtl8192cu" ?

Maybe disabling power saving in the device: in /etc/modprobe.d/8192cu.conf

options 8192cu rtw_power_mgnt=0 rtw_enusbss=0
Other than this im nearly out of my knowledge and a fresh start of compiling and installing dietpi would make a success :(

_____
Some info in other forums where saying that you would need a minimum of 2A power for the OrangePi and some/this stick to work (explained by the fact, that the kernel would only give out kernel panic. The system crashing meaning a 'unstable' / not enough power :|
Hmm... The results are disappoiting.
Here's the output of first command:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 843516 Jun 14 03:29 /lib/modules/3.4.113-sun8i/kernel/net/wireless/8192cu.ko
All other commands have been failed with message: No such file or directory (except nano, it said that file didn't exist and sayed that it will create a new file).
lucasmenno

Post by lucasmenno »

those files, if they are not there, then create them pls :)

You did reboot your device yourself here or there, when crashed by editing files, check the saved things, could always be gone :!:
Everything i say can and maybe will be corrected by the DietPi seniors in this forum :D
-1TB HDD, Network storage,Downloader(JD,Deluge,ripme) testing what looks interesting.
mishaor

Post by mishaor »

lucasmenno wrote:those files, if they are not there, then create them pls :)

You did reboot your device yourself here or there, when crashed by editing files, check the saved things, could always be gone :!:
Okay, i created /etc/modprobe.d/8192cu.conf. All is the same. It crashes after some time (usually 10-30 seconds). I think it's a memory bug. Or, as you said, it can be power bug.
mishaor

Post by mishaor »

Thanks for help! The crashing after some time was a problem with power brick. I took a 5 V and 1.5 A USB charger and it worked like charm! :)
lucasmenno

Post by lucasmenno »

Nice to hear this! :D