Orange Pi Zero won't boot after kernel upgrade

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
johnvick
Legend

Orange Pi Zero won't boot after kernel upgrade

Post by johnvick »

I upgraded to v 152 then apt-get upgrade installed a new kernel. Didn't boot after this. Nothing important on the device but any tips on how to get it going? These devices don't have video out so you can't plug in a monitor to see what's happening.

John
Fourdee
Site Admin

Re: Orange Pi Zero won't boot after kernel upgrade

Post by Fourdee »

johnvick wrote:I upgraded to v 152 then apt-get upgrade installed a new kernel. Didn't boot after this. Nothing important on the device but any tips on how to get it going? These devices don't have video out so you can't plug in a monitor to see what's happening.

John
Hi John,

Is this on 4.x kernel? If so, kernel updates are not recommend for this very reason (ARMbian class them as DEV/testing).

To recover to previous kernel, you'll need the following from the DietPi image file:
- /lib/firmware
- /lib/modules
- /boot/* (everything excluding dietpi.txt and the dietpi folder)

Then copy those to the SD card in same locations.
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.
johnvick
Legend

Post by johnvick »

Hi Fourdee,

Yes it was a v4 kernel that came through usual updates. The same happened with my second OPiZero with Armbian and no problems there.

Thanks for the info on how to fix - I stuffed it up this time but can refer to these instructions next time.

John
Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee »

Hi John,

We started putting 4.x DEV/TESTING image kernel packages on hold a while back, prevents any apt upgrades to them, although I believe the OPi Zero doesn't have this set currently.

You can find out which packages need putting on hold with:

Code: Select all

dpkg -l | grep '\-dev'
This is for OPi PC (H3):
https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issue ... -305257085
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.