lxde on RPI 256Kb - Unusable

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
raidersan

lxde on RPI 256Kb - Unusable

Post by raidersan »

Hi,

I have installed DietPi on my old RPI 1B 256Kb, then installed LXDE. As soon as I launch Firefox, everything dies. HTOP seems to show that firefox uses between 40 and 80% cpu but the CPU panel is stuck at 100% and certainly the PI is almost frozen. A mouse click could take 5 to 10 seconds to register. Memory is also OK according to HTOP, something like 180Mo out of 230.
I do recall an early version of Raspbian working decently a few years ago, I believe that was also firefox but I could be mistaken. It feels to me like something is amiss, like a race condition or loop waiting for resources.
Has anybody got suggestions?
Tx
Fourdee
Site Admin

Re: lxde on RPI 256Kb - Unusable

Post by Fourdee »

Hi,

Try checking the GPU memory split is 64MB. DietPi does this during installation automatically, if needed:
dietpi-config > display options > GPU/MEM split

If problems persist and at least 64MB GPU, let me know and i'll try to replicate/investigate here.
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.
raidersan

Post by raidersan »

Thanks for your prompt answer. Yes it is at 64Mb currently.
I see something strange when running top. User is around 10-30%, sys 15-20%, but WA is 75 to 80, it looks it is waiting on some IO.
Mem reports 30Mb available out of 184. Very little swap used , 20 out of 815

I have tried both with a WIFI key and an ethernet connection.

I have just tried a simple WGET on a big file and it does download pretty fast, around 60Mb/s which is close to ,y broadband limit, so it is not a bad network connection.
Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee »

raidersan wrote:. User is around 10-30%, sys 15-20%, but WA is 75 to 80, it looks it is waiting on some IO.
Mem reports 30Mb available out of 184. Very little swap used , 20 out of 815
Looks like swap is occurring, due to low memory, causing high IO load on SD card. Even on a class 10, this will be noticeable.
I do recall an early version of Raspbian working decently a few years ago, I believe that was also firefox but I could be mistaken.
It could be a simple case of Firefox is alot more "bulkier", and, more of a memory hog than it used to be.
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
raidersan

Post by raidersan »

What could I try to be able to browse? Is there a lighter browser ppl use on RPI 256K RAM?
Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee »

raidersan wrote:What could I try to be able to browse? Is there a lighter browser ppl use on RPI 256K RAM?
Try Midori, claims to be lightweight:
http://midori-browser.org/download/debian/
raidersan

Post by raidersan »

thanks for your help
raidersan

Post by raidersan »

Thought I would let you know for reference. I now run 16Mb for the GPU with midori and the results are adequate, it is useable. Firefox is way to fat.
Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee »

raidersan wrote:Thought I would let you know for reference. I now run 16Mb for the GPU with midori and the results are adequate, it is useable. Firefox is way to fat.
Excellent, great to hear :D