DietPi vs Openmediavault

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
dcaccount

DietPi vs Openmediavault

Post by dcaccount »

Hello,
I have used for months my Rpi3 with openmediavault as home ftp Server to have an ftp backup of the video recording.

Everything works but I am looking for a lighther OS.

My question is if DietPi is really lighther and less resource taking than openmediavault and therefore worth changing and reconfiguring the system.

Thanks for advising,
Daniele
Fourdee
Site Admin

Re: DietPi vs Openmediavault

Post by Fourdee »

dcaccount wrote:Hello,
I have used for months my Rpi3 with openmediavault as home ftp Server to have an ftp backup of the video recording.

My question is if DietPi is really lighther and less resource taking than openmediavault and therefore worth changing and reconfiguring the system.

Thanks for advising,
Daniele
OMV requires a webserver stack to function, DietPi doesn't. Due to this, and the many lightweight scripts/tools that DietPi has to achieve what you can do in OMV, DietPi will be the lighter (and more efficient) OS.

Either way, i'am going to be biased ;) Although, dont take my word for it, try DietPi :)
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.
dcaccount

Re: DietPi vs Openmediavault

Post by dcaccount »

Fourdee wrote:
dcaccount wrote:Hello,

Thanks for advising,
Daniele
OMV requires a webserver stack to function, DietPi doesn't. Due to this, and the many lightweight scripts/tools that DietPi has to achieve what you can do in OMV, DietPi will be the lighter (and more efficient) OS.

Either way, i'am going to be biased ;) Although, dont take my word for it, try DietPi :)
Thanks I have just started configuring it!