Please help; Ampache not functioning Topic is solved

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
goofy

Please help; Ampache not functioning

Post by goofy »

Hi all,

Sorry if this is a silly question. I am using Dietpi on a few Raspberry Pi's and on one odroid XU4.

I am in the process of evaluating several different music streaming servers. I grew fond of Ampache 3.8.2 through the use of dietpi-software performing the installation. The installation instructions on Ampache's github page require some doing but Dietpi makes it easy. The Ubuntu repository will only install an earlier alpha version of Ampache. I know that it was working when Dietpi was in the version numbers 127+ to the 130's but now Ampache is not working for me so I am hoping that you guys can help.

I only just recently tried to install Dietpi on a newly formatted SSD chip with only Ampache chosen from the dietpi-software list, hoping that when Ampache is loaded the dependencies would configure themselves for Ampache and Ampache only. No luck.

I suspect that the issue has to do with the way that mysql is configured because when a browser loads http://localhost/ampache/test.php It displays a page that shows that the Ampache installation has passed all tests except for three. One of them is a warning that has this explanation:

"This tests whether Ampache can manage large files (> 2GB). This is not strictly necessary, but may result in a better experience. This generally requires 64-bit operating system."

I'm not too worried about that one.

The other two are errors having to do with Ampache's Mysql database. Those explanations are:

"Database connection: This attempts to connect to your database using the values read from your configuration file."

and

"Database tables: This checks a few key tables to make sure that you have successfully inserted the Ampache database and that the user has access to the database"

I am hoping that you can reproduce these results. Failing that, is it possible to load an earlier version of Dietpi and adjust the script to bypass the update process to test whether the issue is in there someplace? That may not be the best way to deal with this but I don't have a lot of experience with Mysql.

Another possibility is that, according to Ampache's github page, Ampache uses Composer for dependency management. As Composer is being installed by dietpi-software the console displays warning messages about not using root to install Composer and also about how something called "guzzler" has been deprecated.

Thanks in advance.

MZ
Fourdee
Site Admin

Re: Please help; Ampache not functioning

Post by Fourdee »

Hi MZ,

Is this installation on XU4 or RPi? I'll run some tests here.
"Database connection: This attempts to connect to your database using the values read from your configuration file."
This one is pretty much a slam dunk. Either MySQL is failing to run, or, MySQL creds are incorrect. This shouldnt occur unless MySQL has been modified by end user, or, something is broken.

Check status of MySQL with:

Code: Select all

systemctl status mysql -l
As Composer is being installed by dietpi-software the console displays warning messages about not using root to install Composer and also about how something called "guzzler" has been deprecated.
Ah yes, these are known warnings. However, these warnings are out of our control. DietPi executes the installation script for composer, provided by Ampache:
https://github.com/ampache/ampache/blob ... poser.json

So unfortunately, we cant make any changes to this at our end. Ampache would need to run tests and modify their code/required packages accordingly.

The root warning is unnecessary in my eyes, unless composer and its modules that get installed, cannot be trusted. In which case, noone should be using it.

I ran a test install on C2, that went fine. But let me know which device you got the errors on, i'll try to replicate here.
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.
goofy

Post by goofy »

Thanks for responding so quickly.

This has been happening on the odroid XU4 and also on Raspberry pi's Models 2B and 3B. The most recent attempt that I mentioned was on a Raspberry pi 2 Model B.

I should emphasize that this has been happening only on recent attempts at installation although I couldn't say when it started happening. Older installations of Ampache still work as they always have.

Thanks for clearing up the business concerning the warnings during the installation of Composer. That's one possibiity that I can put to rest.

MZ
Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee »

Hi MZ,

Thanks for the info.

Ran a test here on fresh DietPi install, RPi 3 (same arch), Ampache installs and runs fine.

Could you please send us a bug report? I'd like to check your current system configuration, see if we can find anything that may be the cause. Please follow the guide below:
http://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=499#p2184
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.
WarHawk

Post by WarHawk »

I tried installing Ampache...blank screen when I try to log in

ran the /test.php mentioned above

See this
ampache.jpg
all the rest of the blocks are green

Nextcloud works fine...but it's on a Apache2 and Mariadb...

If Ampache isn't a viable option...is there another lightweight streaming server like Ampache I can use?
I fired off a bug report...my build isn't a stock build though...so I doubt support is available
reference code: e8583508-1ff3-4bba-af0a-431c5ea76be5
WarHawk

[SOLVED] Please help; Ampache not functioning

Post by WarHawk »

POW!!!!
Got it working...

Had to edit /var/www/ampache/config/ampache.cfg.php

Had to change the database password from "dietpi" to my root users password...

Did a dietpi-services restart...and kapow!!!!

Building a database of over 60+ gigs of tunes...
echable

Post by echable »

Wow, I read and read, your explanation is the one after HOURS that fixed it! Thank you!

Didn't like Ampache much unfortunately.

I'm really happy with my Subsonic server :)
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

@echable @WarHawk
Ayayay many thanks for reporting this. Indeed a stupid bug of us. We install a pre-created config file but do not adjust the password inside accordingly to the chosen global software password :roll:. Will fix it!

PR up: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/pull/2903
Done!