NanoPi M1, can't enable USB wifi

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
PomeloPi

NanoPi M1, can't enable USB wifi

Post by PomeloPi »

I'm setting up DietPi on a NanoPi M1 for the first time. Everything is working except USB wifi.

I've successfully detected the wifi dongle, and I can verify it's operating because it detects the available wifi SSIDs. But when I try to connect to the network the machine hangs or gives different errors. Ethernet on the other hand works fine.

I'm using an Edimax EW-7811un which is working in a RaspberryPi running DietPi. I believe the RTL8188CUS chipset should be supported on the M1... ?

I wonder if you could confirm that this is meant to be working, or give me pointers for troubleshooting?

Thanks
Fourdee
Site Admin

Re: NanoPi M1, can't enable USB wifi

Post by Fourdee »

PomeloPi wrote:I'm using an Edimax EW-7811un which is working in a RaspberryPi running DietPi. I believe the RTL8188CUS chipset should be supported on the M1... ?

I wonder if you could confirm that this is meant to be working, or give me pointers for troubleshooting?
Confirmed. Tested with same adapter, actually caused system to hard lock when bringing up wlan0.

I believe this is an issue with the 3.x kernel we use on M1. I'll look at updating to 4.9 kernel, has improved driver for RTL8188CUS. Leave it with me:
https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issues/729
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.
PomeloPi

Post by PomeloPi »

Thanks, most appreciated.
PomeloPi

Post by PomeloPi »

Hi Fourdee, just to let you know, I'm giving up on the M1. I was eventually able to get it working using the NanoPi Debian image, but it was horribly unstable.