Creating a New User & Disabling Root

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
odreezy

Creating a New User & Disabling Root

Post by odreezy »

I've created a new user with it's own home directory and disabled root. However, when I did this, I lost the dietpi startup script. I tried sourcing it from my .bashrc but this require I sudo and provide my password again.

Basically, my question is: what do I need to my new user to ensure it has access to all of the dietpi tools and configuration?
Deathbeard

Re: Creating a New User & Disabling Root

Post by Deathbeard »

You should still be able to use diet-pi commands along with "sudo" as all the commands are tied back to the root user. I have made my default user and disabled root access through ssh and only use it sometimes. "sudo dietpi-launcher" is the only real command you need to remember as you can access all the other commands from the menu that pulls up.
Fourdee
Site Admin

Re: Creating a New User & Disabling Root

Post by Fourdee »

Deathbeard wrote:"sudo dietpi-launcher" is the only real command you need to remember as you can access all the other commands from the menu that pulls up.
Spot on :).
By using the launcher with sudo, all DietPi Programs will be launched with the required root privileges.
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.