DietPi for OrangePiZero Wifi & update problem

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
sky59sky59

DietPi for OrangePiZero Wifi & update problem

Post by sky59sky59 »

Hi,

I want to use OrangePi just for 1 running application and DietPi seemed to be the best solution as it supports also WIFI.

Here is the problem:
I sucessfully started system with eth0 static adress (it pings) and wifi with dhcp conneted to internet. I apply changes within dietpi-config
but after reboot wifi is not recognized. I have to disable/enable wifi, then it is recognized, then I have to put ssid&password again manually.
After reboot the same problem.

Another problem is that it seems it will always update by itself? How can I disable this?

When I put wirgin image on SD I had to configure, that is acceptible. But why it must also update?? Because it seems before update
it conneted to internet succesfully after reboot - but I only have seen it once, as immediatelly it started to update.

Is it possible to have really simple system that I put image on SD and it works after config??

Thank you for the help!
sky59sky59

Re: DietPi for OrangePiZero Wifi & update problem

Post by sky59sky59 »

Hello

how can I contact developers of DietPi?

It seems the configurator is not writing any config file anywhere.....

after reboot the wifi setting is completely forgotten...

also, why am I forced by configurator to install any software? I do not want any software, I want just run my own a single one apk.

I do not understand the principle at all, why I simple image can not be available without additional downloading and upgrading during
startup???

Does anybody know any other system for orangepizero that does not have users, upgrades, and many unwanted features?
Just linux with terminal (busybox) ??
syl3nt

Post by syl3nt »

about the config file, in my orangepi, i have a external hard drive hooked in in order to write the config.
about the software, you have to install software through the installer, because dietpi runs on ram, so programs must be adapted to work properly, and the installer is a way to do it without any struggle.
sky59sky59

Post by sky59sky59 »

thanx for info

I have an idea, can you or anybody else help to sort out if it is feasible? :

the virgin image downloaded from dietpi.com is "jessie", after power on it reboots and starts configurator...

I use also "jessie" for RPI and I know how to make files like wpa_supplicant, edit another files to make it work...RPI does not use configurator

if I somehow remove this configurator will I get simple jessie for OPI? I already seen that SD card has 2 partitions, one FAT and another
ext3 (?) for linux, this ext3 (?) seems to be the same as for RPI jessie

How can I remove this configurator for OPI dietpi jessie?

thanx
syl3nt

Post by syl3nt »

In that field, i'm afraid i can't help you, i just have orange pi PC (rev 1) and i just had dietpi installed through installer, i don't know how to bypass it, but i think if you access the sd card after the flash, and you delete the .sh file that starts the configuration, or simply on the /init.d it should have there something that makes it start, so if you delete it , it bypasses it.

i must say that this is just theory in my brain, you'll have to test it out on your own, because i don't have a second device to be testing it :/
sky59sky59

Post by sky59sky59 »

Thanx!

I edited dietpi.txt file so it connects wifi immediatelly. But after 1st reboot it is written back to original :(

So all next rebbots does not connect.

And it zeems configurator is not writing this file correctly

I think there is a bug

Unfortunately, for first run either wifi or eth0 is enabled, not both. This is really stupid. I need wifi on internet and eth0 static for local server.
johnvick
Legend

Post by johnvick »

Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee »

I have to disable/enable wifi, then it is recognized
Yep, John's given the correct fix for this. Its a known issue experienced on "some" OPi Zero's. Was the same for me in all my testing.
For some reason the xradio_wlan module does not init during boot. The fix linked above will create a service, that automatically completes a "reset" of the adapter during boot and should be functional.
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.
sky59sky59

Post by sky59sky59 »

Thank you for hints!
But it seems I am stupid :)

the link shows command cat ... to be applied
it is also written that actual image for download should have this already implemented? or it is only intention in comments by some people?

should it be applied after few reboots of the system ? no idea when and exactly how...

so I tried manually to make file /etc/systemd/system/xradio_wlan.service in second partition ext4 (?) on virgin image on SD card:
--------------------------------------------------------------
[Unit]
Description=xradio_wlan
After=network.target network-online.target

[Service]
Type=oneshot
RemainAfterExit=yes

ExecStartPre=/bin/bash -c 'modprobe xradio_wlan'
ExecStartPre=/bin/bash -c 'iwconfig wlan0 power off'
ExecStart=/bin/bash -c 'ifup wlan0'

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

but then I have no idea how to apply these two commands:
-- systemctl enable xradio_wlan.service
-- systemctl daemon-reload
can thee be written in some files on virgin image on SD card before very first boot?
johnvick
Legend

Post by johnvick »

Paste this text into the command line, that all you have to do.

Code: Select all

cat << _EOF_ > /etc/systemd/system/xradio_wlan.service
[Unit]
Description=xradio_wlan
After=network.target network-online.target

[Service]
Type=oneshot
RemainAfterExit=yes

ExecStartPre=/bin/bash -c 'modprobe xradio_wlan'
ExecStartPre=/bin/bash -c 'iwconfig wlan0 power off'
ExecStart=/bin/bash -c 'ifup wlan0'

[Install]