DietPi folder empty

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
den_hr

Re: DietPi folder empty

Post by den_hr »

Eagerly waiting for any news on this....
I have the same problem, with Orange Pi PC Plus, which worked just fine for a day (with several reboots) - until I booted it the next day :(
Happened twice already, with two different SD cards, one Kingston, and one Sandisk.
Symptoms: once the Dietpi folder was completely empty, once there were enough files (apparently) missing to mess up the system and prevent services from starting (squeezelite & Logitech Media Server).
Once it happened after an update, but the other time I did not do any updates, just installed LMS and Squeezelite and rebooted 2-3 times, all was well, until on 4th reboot the services wouldn't start, with the usual symptoms.
The power supply is ample (5V/3A), and works just fine...
Sorry, can't provide more info, blanked the sd cards already, and waiting to see if there are any suggestions....
BTW, thanks for the wonderful distro and all the good work!
Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee »

den_hr wrote:Eagerly waiting for any news on this....
Hi,

Thanks for the report. We are working on this.

In the mean time, I highly recommend using dietpi-backup to create a backup of your system. Should this issue occur, this will offer a way to restore the system to a previous working state.

If the dietpi-backup command was not found, solution here to allow for restore:
http://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f ... t=20#p5353
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.
Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee »

Hi All,

If you experienced this issue, can you please also state how you wrote the DietPi image to SD card?

EG: Win32diskimager.exe
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
den_hr

Post by den_hr »

Fourdee wrote:Hi All,

If you experienced this issue, can you please also state how you wrote the DietPi image to SD card?

EG: Win32diskimager.exe
I'm certain that in my case it had nothing to do with SD card writer: on one SD card I used Win32Imager under Windows, but on another card I used "Etcher" SD card writer under Linux, just to be on the safe side, and to see if it makes any difference.
BTW, both SD card writers (Win32imager under Windows and Etcher under Linux) worked flawlessly, and with those SD cards the initial boot and setup went without a hitch...
So, in my case I think I can rule those out - it's not an issue of SD card writing software.... :(
chunder

Post by chunder »

I use dd to write the image.
Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee »

Hi All,

I've updated our images for the following devices:
https://dietpi.com#download
- Odroid C2
- RPi

The new images contain a possible fix and prevention of this issue. We need users who experienced the missing /DietPi folder to test these images, and report back results.

Thanks all.

Git ticket for reference:
https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issue ... -277713852
qnx

Post by qnx »

Fourdee wrote:Hi All,

I've updated our images for the following devices:
https://dietpi.com/#download
- Odroid C2
- RPi

The new images contain a possible fix and prevention of this issue. We need users who experienced the missing /DietPi folder to test these images, and report back results.

Thanks all.

Git ticket for reference:
https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issue ... -277713852
Is there a chance that you'll push those fixes so that they can be obtained by dietpi-upgrade (possibly with some --beta flag)? I'd like to test but am unwilling to reinstall the system once again. I have experienced the disappearing folder issue before, but for the last weeks it's been running stable.

Thanks for your hard work!
Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee »

qnx wrote: Is there a chance that you'll push those fixes so that they can be obtained by dietpi-upgrade (possibly with some --beta flag)? I'd like to test but am unwilling to reinstall the system once again. I have experienced the disappearing folder issue before, but for the last weeks it's been running stable.
Hi,

No worries.

The RPi attempted fix will be applied in DietPi v144 update. We couldnt find any issues with the image partitions, however, we did regenerate the image anyway just to be sure.

The Odroid C2 image was corrupted at image level. We had to re-generate the 1st partition of this image. So in this case, that would only be resolved with the new image.
syl3nt

Post by syl3nt »

this also happens to me, but I thought the problem was because of the USB drive goes into sleep mode after a while, and so it can only wake again if I reboot the system.

i use an orange pi pc (v1)

i have dietpi v.143 installed

i have the usb drive mounted through dietpi-drive-manager (/mnt/usb_1) and use it as part of the system for sickrage and such

i also have a problem with installing Kodi, I don't understand how i can install it since it's not available on the list of software :-/
i did it on my own and it doesn't start properly (black screen) and the sound is all glitched

aaand when i startx , then the ssh server seems to stop and if i restart it manually it usually refuses the connection :-c
Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee »

syl3nt wrote:i also have a problem with installing Kodi, I don't understand how i can install it since it's not available on the list of software :-/
i did it on my own and it doesn't start properly (black screen) and the sound is all glitched

aaand when i startx , then the ssh server seems to stop and if i restart it manually it usually refuses the connection :-c
Hi,

GPU features (eg: Kodi, Desktop) are disabled on this board, the only boards we support for GPU are:
  • RPi (all)
  • Odroid (all)
Its mostly due to lack of stable driver/documentation for H3, and, with the H3 heat issues, GPU load ontop puts the CPU under excessive heat. Not recommended.