/Dietpi empty after boot

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
happydutch

/Dietpi empty after boot

Post by happydutch »

For some reason /Dietpi is empty after booting. When I copy files back from backup it works well. I suspect it happened after a Dietpi update.

Any hints how to debug/correct this?

I noticed because of this:

Code: Select all

root@DietPi:~# dietpi-config
-bash: /DietPi/dietpi/dietpi-config: No such file or directory
and this:

Code: Select all

root@DietPi:~# systemctl | grep -i failed
● dietpi-ramdisk.service                                                                                                  loaded failed failed    DietPi-RAMdisk
● dietpi-ramlog.service                                                                                                   loaded failed failed    DietPi-RAMlog

root@DietPi:~# systemctl status  dietpi-ramdisk.service
● dietpi-ramdisk.service - DietPi-RAMdisk
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/dietpi-ramdisk.service; enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2017-01-02 19:51:22 PST; 7min ago
  Process: 471 ExecStart=/bin/bash -c /boot/dietpi/dietpi-ramdisk 0 (code=exited, status=127)

Jan 02 19:51:22 DietPi bash[471]: /bin/bash: /boot/dietpi/dietpi-ramdisk: No such file or directory
Jan 02 19:51:22 DietPi systemd[1]: dietpi-ramdisk.service: control process exited, code=exited status=127
Jan 02 19:51:22 DietPi systemd[1]: Failed to start DietPi-RAMdisk.
Jan 02 19:51:22 DietPi systemd[1]: Unit dietpi-ramdisk.service entered failed state.
Fourdee
Site Admin

Re: /Dietpi empty after boot

Post by Fourdee »

Hi, thanks for the report.
happydutch wrote:/boot/dietpi/dietpi-ramdisk: No such file or directory
It appears the DietPi scripts are also missing from /boot, this is where the DietPi-RAMdisk loads and saves the scripts during boot.
For some reason /Dietpi is empty after booting. When I copy files back from backup it works well. I suspect it happened after a Dietpi update.
When you run the restore, and reboot, which version of DietPi is listed in the terminal? I'll take a look at the patch file and see what/if may of caused this.

Also, which device are you running?
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.
twentyninehairs

Post by twentyninehairs »

This happened to me also, on a Raspberry Pi 3 after running dietpi-update to upgrade from V142->V143. It said it downloaded and installed a new kernel before asking me to reboot. All I know is that upon the reboot, that directory was gone.

I have customized it, however. I was logged in as a user other than root, and used sudo to start the update. I don't remember what else I might have customized, I don't think it was much else, if anything else at all. :)

This system was running something of a production reverse proxy server at my house, and it looks like I backed up almost everything except that directory. As far as I can tell, I don't think I need to fix it. Everything looks ok if I just want to use it as a normal Debian system. I was just using it for the stripped down OS, more or less. I simply fixed the OS init scripts for the services that were not working after the update, and had to fix the log directory for nginx.

I just signed up to report what I knew about what happened if that might help you in some way. :)
twentyninehairs

Post by twentyninehairs »

DietPi is an amazing system by the way. There is none like it! I use it for a lot of things! Thank you for everything!
Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee »

Hi,

Thanks for the report.
Apologies for this, it is a known issue at the moment and we are trying to find the cause.
I have customized it, however. I was logged in as a user other than root, and used sudo to start the update. I don't remember what else I might have customized, I don't think it was much else, if anything else at all. :)
I'll repeat this test and see if this is a possible cause.

Also, if you restored from a backup created in dietpi-backup, could you try updating DietPi, again, as user root, and see if the issue reoccurs?
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.