Pihole XU4 v141

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
johnvick
Legend

Pihole XU4 v141

Post by johnvick »

I had this working but attempting to update it, it no longer is. I have tried k-plan's method to no avail.

I have tried the "curl -L https://install.pi-hole.net | bash" method but this didn't work either.

When installing using dietpi-software it gets to the point where it is installing packages (with the bar on screen) but this is over so quickly it can't be doing much.

The web interface can be accessed but it says "starting".

I have it working OK on Banana and Raspberry Pis so I know Fourdee's script is not the problem.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

John
Fourdee
Site Admin

Re: Pihole XU4 v141

Post by Fourdee »

Hi John,
I had this working but attempting to update it, it no longer is.
Strange, i did a fresh XU4 v141 install yesterday with PiHole, worked fine for me.

Its possible apt is causing the issue. Try running

Code: Select all

apt-get update
apt-get install -f
And see if you get any errors.

If its fine, try uninstalling PiHole (check for any errors), then install again in dietpi-software

Failing that, we may need to manually remove all PiHole files/settings completely from system, then install again. Let me know and i'll check steps needed.
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.
johnvick
Legend

Post by johnvick »

Hi Fourdee,

I installed/uninstalled/reinstalled several times - still the same.

apt-get install -f - no errors.

There are no /etc/pihole or /etc/.pihole directories. Nothing relevant in /opt either.

Thanks for your help,

John
Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee »

johnvick wrote:Hi Fourdee,

I installed/uninstalled/reinstalled several times - still the same.

apt-get install -f - no errors.

There are no /etc/pihole or /etc/.pihole directories. Nothing relevant in /opt either.

Thanks for your help,

John
Hi John,

Try this complete removal (may want to backup 1st):

rm -R /var/www/html

#I know you said these dont exist, but lets cover it anyway
rm -R /opt/pihole
rm -R /etc/pihole
rm -R /etc/.pihole

#binary
rm /usr/local/bin/pihole

#dnsmasq
apt-get purge -y dnsmasq
rm -R /etc/dnsmasq.*
To my knowledge, that should clear all pihole related files/settings from system. Then try again:

curl -L https://install.pi-hole.net | bash
If it fails, please try to copy/paste text, maybe has some info we can look into.
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
johnvick
Legend

Post by johnvick »

HI Fourdee,

Tried the above but no difference unfortunately but I am close to a solution of sorts.

I manually installed the required apps from here:
https://github.com/pi-hole/pi-hole/blob ... install.sh

I then ran "curl -L https://install.pi-hole.net | bash"

As before this did a partial install.

I then copied the missing bits from a working Pi3 install i.e. the contents of /opt/pihole /etc/pihole /usr/local/bin

And it is now working blocking ads but the web console and cloudshell display do not report this activity.

The only non-standard thing in my system is php v7 - could this be relevant?

John
johnvick
Legend

Post by johnvick »

Further to the above I think part of the problem is that pihole is not writing to the log despite this being enabled, so the graphs have nothing to display. Also status (top left of web interface) is "unknown".
Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee »

johnvick wrote: The only non-standard thing in my system is php v7 - could this be relevant?

John
Hi John,

Shouldn't do, our Stretch RPi image is fine with PiHole, that installs php7: https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issues/475

Further to the above I think part of the problem is that pihole is not writing to the log despite this being enabled, so the graphs have nothing to display. Also status (top left of web interface) is "unknown".
Check permissions on logfile, should be dnsmasq:

root@DietPi:~# ls -lha /var/log/pihole.log
-rwxrwxr-x 1 dnsmasq www-data 1.1M Jan  3 19:16 /var/log/pihole.log
Also check the following log entires exist in /etc/dnsmasq.d/01-pihole.conf:

root@DietPi:~# cat /etc/dnsmasq.d/01-pihole.conf  | grep log
log-queries
log-facility=/var/log/pihole.log
log-async
johnvick
Legend

Post by johnvick »

HI Fourdee,

Thanks again for your help - this is proving to be a tricky one to fix. I have uninstalled and cleaned out every trace of pihole I could. A reinstall seemed to work until I got this error message:

/DietPi/dietpi/dietpi-software: line 7251: pihole: command not found

There were no files in /etc/pihole, /usr/local/bin or /opt. I copied these from a Pi3 and changed permissions as needed.

/etc/dnsmasq.d/01-pihole.conf wasn't there so copied also.

All done it partially works - it blocks the ads but the web interface still says status unknown. The pie charts show but the graph doesn't and DNS queries and blocked sites stay at 0%. The log is being written to. Any further ideas?

Update - the graph has now appeared but the ad blocking has stopped, without changing anything.
John
Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee »

johnvick wrote:HI Fourdee,

/DietPi/dietpi/dietpi-software: line 7251: pihole: command not found
Hi John,

7251 is where we set the PiHole web interface login password:

https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/blob/master/dietpi/dietpi-software#L7250-L7251
Looks like PiHole hasn't installed its binary, possibly failed during install.
There were no files in /etc/pihole, /usr/local/bin or /opt. I copied these from a Pi3 and changed permissions as needed.

/etc/dnsmasq.d/01-pihole.conf wasn't there so copied also.
Yep, in theory it should be working. Really doesn't make any sense. And why the official PiHole installer isn't completing a successful install, is strange.

I think the next route would be remote access session, where I can attempt to debug the issue and hopefully find a solution. For this, i'd need access to a PC on your network (with VNC server and terminal emulator installed).
Let me know if this is something your willing to do, drop me an email daniel_haze@hotmail.com and we'll get it arranged.

Failing that, unless we can see all the PiHole onscreen text output during install (hopefully contains some errors we can debug), or a fresh DietPi image, not sure what to do.
johnvick
Legend

Post by johnvick »

Thanks Fourdee - I'll maybe take you up on this but I've got some more testing to do first as last night I found that the Pi3 has a similar problem now - in short, if I uninstall a working pihole and reinstall, it stops working. Same on the two devices. I'll test this on the Banana Pi later today and see if the same happens on this.

John