[SOLVED] DietPi-Cloudshell crashes

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
Fourdee
Site Admin

Re: DietPi crashed again

Post by Fourdee »

mike175de wrote:Hi Fourdee,

so I am absolute sure that it isn't cloudshell related. DietPi crashed again and only a hard reset brought the device back to life.

I uploaded some log files (syslog, kernel.log, debug always the last 500 lines before the crash) to pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/6h4MGiMC
Maybe that helps to find the problem?

Thx again, Michael
Hi Michael,

Yep definatly sounds like a system issue. From what I can see in the logs, dietpi-cloudshell is running correctly with no errors.

This looks worrying, each power on, external drives are being recovered. This might simply be a check due to not being powered down correctly, but still, its not good to see:

Code: Select all

Jan  4 11:17:05 dietpiserver kernel: [   23.235112] [c0] EXT4-fs (sdd1): recovery complete
Jan  4 11:17:05 dietpiserver kernel: [   23.237332] [c1] EXT4-fs (sdd1): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)
Jan  4 11:17:05 dietpiserver kernel: [   23.767618] [c2] EXT4-fs (sdb3): recovery complete
Jan  4 11:17:05 dietpiserver kernel: [   23.819377] [c2] EXT4-fs (sdb3): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)
Jan  4 11:17:05 dietpiserver kernel: [   23.916532] [c1] EXT4-fs (sdc1): recovery complete
Jan  4 11:17:05 dietpiserver kernel: [   23.932516] [c1] EXT4-fs (sdc1): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)
The 3 USB-Drives are connected to an active hub, which I already used before I did the reinstall of DietPi - worked without problems. The power should be more than sufficent. 2 drives are "whole in one-solutions" (eg :WD elements), one is a third party (as you mentioned) solution.
Things that pop to mind, for testing.
As the problem only occurs 20-30h's in, this might take some time to find the cause:
- Remove the third party USB <> Sata controller. "Cheap" controllers can be problematic. This would also remove 500-750mA power usage on PSU.
- Remove the USB hub. May be problematic. If powered by its own PSU, it will need to be at least 5v/2.5A and a stable 5v.
- Around 20 hours in, have a quick look at htop and see if RAM + Swap is full.
- If you are using a 5v/4a with 3x USB drives + Cloudshell, its not enough power (unless the hub is powered by its own 5v/2.5A PSU). The XU4 will peak to around 3A+ during high load. With 3 USB drives on top of that at 500-750mA each, you'd probably need at least a 5v/8a to truly cover the power requirements.
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.
mike175de

Re: DietPi-Cloudshell crashes

Post by mike175de »

Hi Fourdee,

thx for your reply.

My system is fine and running for almost 10 days now.

What I did was to remove hdparm and replace it with hd-idle. Since then everything works. Maybe this is helpful for somebody else who is using more than 2 USB-Drives powered with an active hub.

I mark the post as solved. Thx again for your help and the hint that pointed me to hdparm.

Greets Michael