Cert error when trying to access torrent trackers, causing problems with Jackett Topic is solved

Having issues with your DietPi installation or found a bug? Post it here.
Joulinar
Legend

Re: Cert error when trying to access torrent trackers, causing problems with Jackett

Post by Joulinar »

there you go. Your router is giving the incorrect DNS answer

Code: Select all

;; ANSWER SECTION:
bt4g.org.               5       IN      A       127.0.0.1

;; Query time: 10 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.1.1#53(192.168.1.1)
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
trendy

Re: Cert error when trying to access torrent trackers, causing problems with Jackett

Post by trendy »

LeVraiRoiDHyrule wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:55 pm On my PC, I can perfectly access all these trackers, so I think I can exclude the router ?
Coming back to that, now that we have pinpointed the culprit.
It is possible that your PC is using other nameservers, without any configuration from your part. For example browsers now support DNS over HTTPS. Or at some point you added some additional nameserver, like GoogleDNS.
The fact of the matter is that your ISP seems to be blocking on DNS level certain sites. You could try to resolve other torrent or possibly banned hostnames to verify that using your ISP router as the resolver.
LeVraiRoiDHyrule

Post by LeVraiRoiDHyrule »

trendy wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:24 pm
LeVraiRoiDHyrule wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:55 pm On my PC, I can perfectly access all these trackers, so I think I can exclude the router ?
Coming back to that, now that we have pinpointed the culprit.
It is possible that your PC is using other nameservers, without any configuration from your part. For example browsers now support DNS over HTTPS. Or at some point you added some additional nameserver, like GoogleDNS.
The fact of the matter is that your ISP seems to be blocking on DNS level certain sites. You could try to resolve other torrent or possibly banned hostnames to verify that using your ISP router as the resolver.
Hi,

Thanks a lot for your answer.
Ok so now we know where the problem is.

But what is strange is that my ISP is not supposed to block any website (mine is known to let everything pass). Plus, I am using Cloudflare DNS on my Pi, so even if it were blocking sites, it should still work because of Cloudflare, right ?

I can't find any torrent tracker that is known to be blocked by my ISP, because there is none (at least at our knowledge). There is other torrent trackers that don't work the same way as bt4g, like TorrentFunk, but I find no way to know if it's because of my ISP or because of my setup.

I don't know what I could try to know more....
Joulinar
Legend

Post by Joulinar »

Plus, I am using Cloudflare DNS on my Pi
Not correct. You are using 192.168.1.1 to serve DNS queries on your DietPi device. This is the one assigned via DHCP. You could switch to Static IP and change DNS server.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
LeVraiRoiDHyrule

Joulinar wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:40 pm
Plus, I am using Cloudflare DNS on my Pi
Not correct. You are using 192.168.1.1 to serve DNS queries on your DietPi device. This is the one assigned via DHCP. You could switch to Static IP and change DNS server.
I just noticed something strange :

My static DNS is correctly set as Cloudflare, but the currently used DNS is still 192.168.1.1, you're right.
I tried setting it up again but it doesn't set to Cloudflare at the top. Is it a different thing ?
Joulinar
Legend

Post by Joulinar »

Looks like something leftover from DHCP. Can you share

cat /etc/network/interfaces
LeVraiRoiDHyrule

Joulinar wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:04 pm Looks like something leftover from DHCP. Can you share

cat /etc/network/interfaces

root@DietPi:~# cat /etc/network/interfaces
# Location: /etc/network/interfaces
# Please modify network settings via: dietpi-config
# Or create your own drop-ins in: /etc/network/interfaces.d/

# Drop-in configs
source interfaces.d/*

# Ethernet
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.31
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
#dns-nameservers 1.1.1.1 1.0.0.1

# WiFi
#allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
address 0.0.0.0
netmask 0.0.0.0
gateway 0.0.0.0
#dns-nameservers 0.0.0.0
wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
Just checked interfaces.d, it is empty.
trendy

Post by trendy »

Remove the leading # from nameservers.
Joulinar
Legend

Post by Joulinar »

and do a reboot.
LeVraiRoiDHyrule

Joulinar wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:14 am and do a reboot.
Thanks for your answer

I tried that yesterday, and tried again today.
But the used DNS in DIETPI-config stays 192.168.1.1, even when the line for dns nameservers is active in /etc/network/interfaces :

I still can't reach bt4g.