Moving SD card and external connected drive to Pi4 Topic is solved

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
zartarr88

Moving SD card and external connected drive to Pi4

Post by zartarr88 »

Hi I have a question regarding my current setup ; which is on a Raspberry Pi 3B+

If I were to go out and purchase a Pi 4 ; can I just plug and plug ; as in just move sd card and the usb connected drive into the pi4 and be up and running? or what would the additional steps need to be .
Joulinar

Re: Moving SD card and external connected drive to Pi4

Post by Joulinar »

Hi,

no it's not possible to move SD card from RPi3 into RPi4. You could try, but it should not work. The other way around it's possible, bit not from RPi3 > RPi4
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

no it's not possible to move SD card from RPi3 into RPi4. You could try, but it should not work.
Are you sure? As long as you upgraded the kernel to latest version all RPi4 kernel/dtb files are installed, so not sure why it should not work. Only if you have a quite old image with a ~50 MiB /boot partition (df), then RPi4 files are not installed since the partition is too small then. The new RPi images however have a 256 MiB /boot partition.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

well I tried it in the past and it was not working. Might be it was due to the smaller boot partition. So the correct answer should be: It depends :D

Will do a test once I'm back home.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
zartarr88

Post by zartarr88 »

Hi guys,
thank you for looking into this for me ; it will save me a lot of money if you guys do have the components available. If not , for the benefit of the community I can go out and conduct the test , just let me know .

I have checked and my boot drive /boot in drive_manager is 252M ; looks like its a newer image then .
My Nextcloud instance using the drive manager ; user data is on /dev/sda1 ; mounted externally.

regarding 'upgrading the kernel' Micha , and just you know moving things onto the new Raspberry Pi 4 ; what would the terminal commands be to do a smooth transition ?

uname -a delivers me:
Linux DietPi 5.4.51-v7+ #1327 SMP Thu Jul 23 10:58:46 BST 2020 armv7l GNU/Linux
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

You're on the newest kernel already, 5.4.51, if you want to be super sure, check for:
- A set of files prefixed with 4 in /boot/, like start start4.elf and a few others.
- The bcmXXXX-rpi-4-b.dtb (device tree) and kernel7l.img (Linux).
- /lib/modules/5.4.51-v7l+ the kernel module.

The above are the RPi4 only files, relevant for booting and chosen automatically by the bootloader when RPi4 is detected, so that should work fine.

The only thing I would do after successful boot on RPi4 is upgrading its internal EEPROM bootloader and USB drivers via dietpi-config > Advanced Optiones > Upgrade RPi4 EEPROM.
zartarr88

Post by zartarr88 »

just a heads up ;
went and got the machine ; seamless transition .
plug and play and follow MichaIng instructions ; thanks guys
davidjmorin

Post by davidjmorin »

Would be nice to see a step by step guide on this since its fairly new and I'm sure a highly wanted feature. I still cannot get this to boot for the life of me. I would like to preserve my setup as well so I don't need to reinstall everything I have. Been using same filesystem for about 4 years with backups and updates.

no matter what I follow for directions when I get here it errors out

Code: Select all

dietpi-launcher : All the DietPi programs in one place.
 dietpi-config   : Feature rich configuration tool for your device.
 dietpi-software : Select optimized software for installation.
 htop            : Resource monitor.
 cpu             : Shows CPU information and stats.

root@DietPi:~# sudo nano /etc/default/rpi-eeprom-update
root@DietPi:~# sudo rpi-eeprom-update -d -f /lib/firmware/raspberrypi/bootloader                                                          /stable/pieeprom-2020-06-15.bin
/usr/bin/rpi-eeprom-update: 271: /usr/bin/rpi-eeprom-update: hexdump: not found
root@DietPi:~# sudo rpi-eeprom-update -d -f /lib/firmware/raspberrypi/bootloader/stable/pieeprom-2020-06-15.bin
root@DietPi:~# sudo rpi-eeprom-update -d -f /lib/firmware/raspberrypi/bootloader/stable/pieeprom-2020-06-16.bin
root@DietPi:~# sudo rpi-eeprom-update -d -f /lib/firmware/raspberrypi/bootloader/stable/pieeprom-2020-07-31.bin

Linux DietPi 5.4.51-v7l+ #1333 SMP Mon Aug 10 16:51:40 BST 2020 armv7l GNU/Linux

FIRMWARE_RELEASE_STATUS="stable"
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

@davidjmorin
I have seen you opened as well an issue on GitHub https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/3752

Now I'm not sure what you like to archive. Are you trying to boot from USB or to swap SD card to RPi4?
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

A new version of rpi-eeprom has been released which fixes the issue. So apt update && apt upgrade && rpi-eeprom-update should solve it.