Unable to install Home-Assistant

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
simplygardner

Unable to install Home-Assistant

Post by simplygardner »

Hi,

Installed DietPi and I am unable to install Home-Assistant from the dietpi-launcher (Software) section.

I essentially gets stuck on the 'Installing Python-3.6.3...' section and then crashes...
I don't believe it is anything that I am doing - but wondering if there is a fault with the software as I may have to just run the Hass.io image.

simplygardner

Re: Unable to install Home-Assistant

Post by simplygardner »

Think the package needs to me updated with the latest version of Home-Assistant and Python?
simplygardner

Post by simplygardner »

Actually. I left it on that screen and it took 40 mins to install Python.
WarHawk

Post by WarHawk »

hopefully it didn't have to compile it! 40 minutes seems like a really long time for a binary install
baz123

Post by baz123 »

Personally I install docker from the diet-pi software and then install the hassio docker image.
megusta

Post by megusta »

I had also to wait >40 min, it looks so that raspi comply something.
I tried to install python and Hass with apt get, it tooks less then 10 min
simplygardner

Post by simplygardner »

I'm new to Docker. Should I be using this? What are the advantages? I have installed Home-Assistant through Dietpi-Software but is there any benefits for moving this to Docker?
baz123

Post by baz123 »

simplygardner wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:33 pm I'm new to Docker. Should I be using this? What are the advantages? I have installed Home-Assistant through Dietpi-Software but is there any benefits for moving this to Docker?
The Docker install I referred to is a Hassio setup. The relationship between Hassio and HA is rather confusing and it is best to research it yourself (as I am not sure I fully understand it).

From a clean (my standard) install I just needed

Code: Select all

dietpi-software install 152
dietpi-software install 162
dietpi-software install 17
apt-get install jq
apt-get install apparmor-utils
curl -sL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/home-assistant/hassio-build/master/install/hassio_install | bash -s
The instructions I used are here https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/installation/ (at the bottom). There are some warnings, but I have never come across any real problems.

This instance of DietPi is running on a VM and just running Hassio.

YMMV
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

We run the official install script within a virtual environment to install Home Assistant.
There indeed all dependencies are build from source, including Python...

I already recognized this and I am not sure, if it wasn't possible to skip all this virtual environment abstraction and just run the script in current shell, using simple Python APT packages.

I will have a look into this, but most likely it will not make it into DietPi v6.20, which is already in Beta and the issue is not critical, but only leads to install taking a long time.

EDIT: I opened an issue on GitHub: https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issues/2418
Indeed we run the installer within several abstraction layers, so I hope we can reduce them to speed up install. However most important thing would be to install it outside of pyenv and instead use default Python APT package.