How prepare the transition/upgrade from Buster to next version? Topic is solved

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
mail2rst

Re: How prepare the transition/upgrade from Buster to next version?

Post by mail2rst »

Adguard home web page give this error

Code: Select all

Error: control/version.json | Couldn't get version check json from https://static.adguard.com/adguardhome/release/version.json: *fmt.wrapError updater: HTTP GET https://static.adguard.com/adguardhome/release/version.json: Get "https://static.adguard.com/adguardhome/release/version.json": read udp 127.0.0.1:46223->127.0.0.1:5335: read: connection refused | 502
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

Do the other devices user AdGuard Home for name resolution/ad blocking? Looks like it has an issue to contract the update server.

Does AdGuard Home use Unbound or another local resolver? I see a refused 127.0.0.1:5335 connection. In case check Unbound status:

journalctl -u unbound
mail2rst

Post by mail2rst »

both system show this fail display page.
Raspberry pi running. homeasssitant, valutwarden, mqtt broker, zigbee2mqtt, openssh
nuc running : plex, adguard, unbound, wireguard, openssh

unbound, homeasssistant, adguard are in trouble
valut warden lokks ok, adguard screen show error (may be unbound).

in dietpi-config networg adpter static & dns resolver cloudflare 1.1.1.1
Attachments
error.png
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

As you can see on your first screen print, there is an issue with Mosquitto as there is no Bullseye repository available yet. This we already discovered and a workaround is described on the link I posted above https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issu ... -877590830

On the 2nd screen the issue is with the repository name for debian-security. On Bullseye it's called bullseye-security at the moment and not just bullseye. /etc/apt/sources.list you would need to adjust as follow

sed -i 's|bullseye/updates|bullseye-security|' /etc/apt/sources.list
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
mail2rst

Post by mail2rst »

Thanks @Joulinar & @MichaIng With your given hints, I am able to troubleshoot both my machines. I confirm that both my machine migrated to bullseye from buster. All my software works same way no change

Raspbeerry pi B2 > Homeasssistant, MQTT, zigbee2mqtt, valutwarden, openssh
NUC AMD64 > plex, adguard home , unbound 1.13, wireguard, openssh

Thanks for your hard work & expert advises every time.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

thx for sharing. Don't forget to switch Mosquitto to Bullseye once they added the repository. You can watch the repo https://repo.mosquitto.org/debian/dists/
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
francisp

Post by francisp »

I can confirm the update went without problems on my pi 1B

sed -i 's/buster/bullseye/' /etc/apt/sources.list
sed -i 's/buster/bullseye/' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*.list
sed -i 's|bullseye/updates|bullseye-security|' /etc/apt/sources.list
sed -i 's/bullseye/buster/' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*mosquitto*.list
apt update
apt upgrade
apt full-upgrade
apt autopurge
/boot/dietpi/func/dietpi-obtain_hw_model
. /boot/dietpi/func/dietpi-globals
Homeassistant and mosquitto are working.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

Hi,

until now, Mosquitto is not providing a Bullseye repository and you are still using Buster package. Don't forget to adjust source list as soon as Mosquitto offers Bullseye packages
qed

Post by qed »

Sorry to chime in on this and hopefully its related

Is it better to convert from Buster to Bullseye or just re-install fresh to Bullseye? I know that would depend on cirtumstances - but is it just as clean to convert Vs re-install?

I'm a little concerned about compatilbity with prior package configs/apps, etc if converting....and also a clean install with clean re-install of apps (then restoring just the configs) seems neater, albiet possibly more work?
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

Cleanest way might be a fresh install as you probably get rid of software you had installed before but they are not needed anymore. Depending on your setup, I might be a complex way as you need to reconfigure all your software title. From DietPi point of view, we don't offer any functionality to export/import configurations only. This would need to be done manually. If you have a complex tool landscape, an in-place upgrade might be easier, however could lead to other challenges and needed rework. We already know that MariaDB, Lighttpd and PHP would need attention. There might be more.

It really depends on your preferences and if your are willing debug thinks after an in-place upgrade or if you like to invest time into a reconfiguration after a fresh install.

Whatever way you go, you would need to take your time. Actually there is no need to rush. You could clone your system (if not to large) and try which way would fit better, before playing on your production system.