Home Assistant Supervised on DietPi Topic is solved

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
Joulinar

Re: Home Assistant Supervised on DietPi

Post by Joulinar »

well for me whole stuff is deleted on a reboot and get recreated if I restart the service manually. Honestly I'm not sure if this is a feature or a bug. Anyway my machine specification is done in /etc/hassio.json

Code: Select all

root@DietPi3:~# cat /etc/hassio.json
{
    "supervisor": "homeassistant/armv7-hassio-supervisor",
    "machine": "raspberrypi3",
    "data": "/usr/share/hassio"
}
root@DietPi3:~#
raspberrypi3 was my machine specification during installation.

Portainer is great to get some inside into docker and how thinks looks like if you don't like to hack on command line
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

what a strange application. ok my issues with loosing all docker images on reboot seems to be related to the docker version. As soon as I downgrade to Docker 19, images started to be persistent on reboot.

that's basically what I followed https://community.home-assistant.io/t/i ... /247116/42

Code: Select all

apt remove docker-ce
apt autoremove --purge -y
reboot
apt install docker-ce=5:19.03.14~3-0~raspbian-buster
reboot
anyway, DietPi will try to update Docker all the time you go to install stuf using dietpi-software or perform a dietpi-update.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
tanderson92

Post by tanderson92 »

Documenting where I am so far: I upgraded to 6.34.1 beta and rebooted at the end of that. When my Pi4 started up, initially there was no network connectivity (this unit is primarily for Pihole). After almost 10 minutes I was finally able to ssh in and see that the load was 7.5+, which was dragging everything down so badly it was having trouble serving pihole dns requests.

After almost an hour, the load returned to near zero. I thought perhaps it had installed/upgraded what was necessary to run HA, but I still have the same 6 processes, visibility on 4357 for the observer, and nothing on 8123.

I tried to install portainer from dietpi-software, but when it got to the docker install portion it paused to ask if I had already installed docker. I broke out of that and manually removed the hold I previously put on docker-ce, docker-ce-cli, and containerd.io. Then I removed those components, which took a long while and occasionally bogged down the Pi to the point pihole stopped working. I was leaving for an appointment and didn't get to continue the steps until today. I'm going to try to install Portainer, remove the previously created containers (if uninstall/purge docker-ce didn't do that for me), and then run the install script you linked to above. I'm hoping to at least have a working HA install that I can play with remotely when I am on the road for work the next 2 weeks.

Thanks again for the detailed assistance. I hope to report back soon with a successful install.
tanderson92

Post by tanderson92 »

I had time to run the install command, and after awhile I now have a working install of Home Assistant! I don't reboot often, but if I happen to reboot and lose my homeassistant container, I'll downgrade to Docker 19 and see if that helps me, too. Thank you again for walking me through this. I think I might have gotten there eventually, but with your help it was much faster.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

Go for Docker 19 as I describe above if you like to use Home Assistant Supervised on Docker. This will safe your life if you need to reboot. Otherwise you could loos your install. Even not talking about the looooong time needed to restart/download/re-setup all container. Hopefully HA will fix this behaviour and allow updates to latest docker v20. Probably you can follow the HA community threat you posted as it contains all relevant information. ;)