moving to bigger drive

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
manilx

moving to bigger drive

Post by manilx »

Hi

I've started with a 64GB PEN drive and all is running well. As I'm running Plex server the drve is getting fuller (videos are on NAS). And I want to be prepared in the event of filling up the drive.

What's the best way to move ALL to a bigger drive under dietpi? I have found the following article https://peppe8o.com/raspberry-pi-migrat ... tep-guide/ but it uses "raspi-config" which is not there on dietpi.

Help much appreciated!

P.S. My other scenario is to use dietpi-backup (I have run it and backed up on 2nd pen drive). Start from scratch with dietpi install on bigger drive to a minimum boot and then use dietpi-backup to restore all. Does this work as expected?
Joulinar

Re: moving to bigger drive

Post by Joulinar »

Hi,

many thanks for your message. usually it should work to create an image from your current drive and re-flash it to the new drive. Similar to what is described on following link on the install section viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8190
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
manilx

Post by manilx »

Thanks for the info. So I can resize the SD via drive-manager (make it use the bigger size of the new SD) then...

The note at the end "I fooled around trying to do a fresh install on the SSD and then use dietpi-backup to try to restore the backup made from my microSD onto my SSD but was unsuccessful. " was exactly my plan B.

Isn't this supposed to work? Or does dietpi-backup only restore to the original drive to go back to a previous configuration?
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

dietpi-backup will restore everything, including information of the old drive. Easiest way is to go with creating an image and flash it to the new drive
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
manilx

Post by manilx »

Thx!