Odroid C2 kernel upgrade Topic is solved

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
3vwozv

Odroid C2 kernel upgrade

Post by 3vwozv »

Running C2 with DietPi v6.25.3 that includes kernel 3.14.79+
I'm having some kernel related issues (with gpsd) and would like to know if its possible to update to kernel 3.16.x?
Hardkernel have builds of Ubuntu with LTS Kernel 3.16.82 included for example, https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-c2/os_images/ubuntu/v4.0

would prefer to be able to stick with DietPi if possible.
3vwozv

Re: Odroid C2 kernel upgrade

Post by 3vwozv »

ack, ignore me. I downloaded and reinstalled a clean image and it comes with 3.16.82+.
Linux DietPi 3.16.82+ #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Mar 17 18:33:26 CET 2020 aarch64 GNU/Linux
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

Generally, to upgrade the kernel you need to run either: apt update; apt full-upgrade
Or use dietpi-config > Advanced Options > Firmware upgrade
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

Hi,

many thanks for your request. Even if you already fine, just let me comment on this. DietPi is based on Debian and not Ubuntu. Pls don't compare them. DietPi did not and will not provide own kernels. The kernel is provided by the underlying Debian base image. Depending on the SBC, DietPi is using diffetent base images. Usually it can be upgraded by running apt update && apt upgrade. The availability of a kernel depends as well on the Debian version (Stretch or Buster) your are running.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

Little addition:
- apt upgrade (which is included with dietpi-update + dietpi-software installs) do not apply kernel upgrades on Odroids as those packages are themselves meta packages which pull the actual versioned kernel as dependency. To upgrade packages even with dependency changes, apt full-upgrade / apt-get dist-upgrade is required.
- And at least on Odroids (but most other devices as well) the kernel version is independent from the Debian version ;).
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

oh ok my fault.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team