First Install Problem using Raspberry Pi image

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
Hammer

Re: First Install Problem using Raspberry Pi image

Post by Hammer »

Joulinar wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:16 pm not fully true 8)

It can be disabled before initial boot. Once you have flashed your SD card, just put it back to your desktop computer. You should have mounted an additional drive called boot. There your have the config files and you could adjust settings that will be applied initially. Locate the file called dietpi.txt and open it with a text editor and search for the following line:

Code: Select all

# IPv6
CONFIG_ENABLE_IPV6=0
putting it to 0 will disable IPv6. Hope it will fix your issue. If not you could adjust DNS domain check on your needs.

Code: Select all

# - Domain to ping when checking DNS resolver. Default: one.one.one.one (Cloudflare DNS domain, see above)
CONFIG_CHECK_DNS_DOMAIN=one.one.one.one
Thank you. This might belong to different thread, but I have tried to google it extensively...when I flash the image using etcher on a Windows 10 PC, I don’t see the “boot” drive in order for me to edit dietpi.txt. It’s not mounted and I can’t see to get it mounted. Is there some trick to it? Thanks again for everyone’s help.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

Once etcher finished, remove the SD card, wait a second and put it back to your computer. Windows should now mount the SD card again. At least it's doing it for me.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

Thank you again...I was able to mount the SD in Windows. My issue was a drive letter was not assigned to the SD. Works great now!
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

My issue was a drive letter was not assigned to the SD
Yes that was my assumption as well but good that it is working now.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
mezger

Post by mezger »

I had the same issue with a fresh install today of v6.31.2 on a RPi 2B

I solved it by disabling IPv6 from the network config.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

yep indeed, disabling IPv6 is best practice if you encounter connection issues during initial setup
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

A pain that IPv6 is still so weakly implemented even on ISP/route basis.

dietpi.com hangs on outgoing IPv6 connections often, sometimes outgoing mails time out because of this (if I interpret the logs correctly) . Not sure if its related, but do you guys receive longer hang when posting something here after a longer time, then quick response on next posts within minutes? For outgoing connections it's like that, hang first, quick for a minutes time frame after route had established once. Probably we have to disable IPv6 (like it was a year ago) but somehow I hate it for a modern server. This would only affect Cloudflare <> dietpi.com not you <> Cloudflare, so even IPv6-only clients can still connect.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

It's a little bit off-topic but yes, I have same experience on dietpi forum. Quite often it's hanging on posting something while editing same post a minute later is working fine. As well I'm missing quite some emails about new forum post or replies.
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

Okay I removed the AAAA (IPv6) record and IP address, lets see if this solves the issue. Especially missing mails is a real problem!
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

ok will keep you posted.