Username and Password Showing Up in Banner at Boot Up

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
Poui

Post by Poui » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:49 am

On boot up, the DietPi banner displays my username and password. Undesirable! How can I fix this? Does it suggest that something is misconfigured? If so, what?

Did a forum search before asking.

Fourdee
Site Admin

Re: Username and Password Showing Up in Banner at Boot Up

Post by Fourdee » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:13 pm

Poui wrote:On boot up, the DietPi banner displays my username and password. Undesirable! How can I fix this? Does it suggest that something is misconfigured? If so, what?

Did a forum search before asking.
Hi,

Only the default login details are show during login. You can change the root password with:
dietpi-config > Security options > Password
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal and Bitcoin.

Poui

Post by Poui » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:41 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I do know how to change user passwords. That is not at issue. Rather, I do not want my password and username to display in the DietPi banner on boot. This information It shows at the bottom of the banner and just above the shebang on boot up. My query is about how to stop that default behavior.

I will try to capture the boot screen with the undesired information partially redacted as evidence of the problem.

pabgan

Post by pabgan » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:42 am

I think that what Fourdee is saying is that your password and username are NOT shown in the boot up process.

What it is shown in the boot up process are the DEFAULT username and password, the same information that could be found on Google. Which I did not notice but I think it is a great idea, so you don't have to Google that if you are as impatient as I am.

Blackhood

Post by Blackhood » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:49 pm

I found this post because I wanted to remove the information on my installation as well.

You can edit the /DietPi/dietpi/postboot file. Around line 55 you'll see the text. You can put a # at the front of the line to comment it out.

As others said, after an update you may have to do this again.

HTH

MichaIng
Legend

Post by MichaIng » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:36 pm

@Blackhood
Thanks for sharing, jep that is possible but reverted with dietpi-update.

We could change it a way that this is only printed on first login prompt. Afterwards users are anyway asked to change their password and they will know how to login then, what you think?

And for security concerns mentioned before, indeed its only the default password, that you are asked to change during firstrun setup, not the actual password that you applied ;). But indeed this is only useful for the very first login.

BeJimmieKab

Post by BeJimmieKab » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:55 pm

Thanks but now I came up with another question.

Eckhart says problems can only exist in time past and future but I can easily think I dont have a pretty girlfriend now. Just an example, lol.

So what does that problem have to do with time?