VPN providers for DietPi

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
MichaIng
Legend

Re: VPN providers for DietPi

Post by MichaIng » Thu May 09, 2019 1:03 pm

Ivacy uses the proprietary Microsoft PPTP protocol that is obsolete and has well known security issues:
- https://support.ivacy.com/kb/setup-vpn-on-debian-linux/
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point-to- ... g_Protocol

So there are already two reasons why you should avoid it and instead better trust the FOSS OpenVPN protocol or the upcoming (in experimental stage) promising WireGuard.

PorterDon

Post by PorterDon » Wed May 15, 2019 8:09 am

Greetings from Thailand!

I've been logging into my USA bank account for ages, but they recently have disallowed logins from Thailand (and Egypt interestingly).

I've read that some VPNs don't pass on location information (anonymous login?) which hopefully would allow me to once again access my account from here.

If true, any recommendations which hopefully I could load from DietPi?

Thanks

MichaIng
Legend

Post by MichaIng » Thu May 16, 2019 1:35 am

@PorterDon
All VPNs will not forward any location info. The server you are accessing to will just see the location from the VPN provider/server. So it's basically about speed, privacy (does the provider keep logs or not, trustworthiness, ...) and price of course.

Nearly all VPN providers have OpenVPN settings files. So you can install the OpenVPN package (G_AGI openvpn) and start it as: openvpn /path/to/config.ovpn

If the provider has WireGuard servers already, this can be installed via dietpi-software and configured (actually left moreless plain) as client.

Generally reading the VPN providers documentation will help. Any Debian/Ubuntu instructions will work on DietPi as well.