Jellyfin opensource Plex/Emby fork

Suggestions for features and software you would like to see in DietPi, goes here.
Quizzer

Re: Jellyfin opensource Plex/Emby fork

Post by Quizzer » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:07 pm

Hi, yes pretty much exactly the same process as using the Emby for Kodi add-on (GitHub user angelblue05 authored both the Emby and Jellyfin add-ons for Kodi so UI, UX wise they're nigh on identical).

Just double checked by installing Kodi Leia on my Mac and it works there too. I can't imagine Windows 10 Kodi having a unique issue (can't confirm as I don't have a Windows machine).

Maybe just a wonky (technical term ;) ) server install first time around? Worth another try?

I connect from a couple of non-Kodi clients LG WebOS Photo & Video app (for HDR) and MrMC app on Apple TV & iPhone successfully.

Wary of hijacking this thread so feel free to PM me. Or if you're on Reddit try https://www.reddit.com/r/jellyfin/ - pretty active and the devs respond there too.

johnvick
Legend

Post by johnvick » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:35 am

Thanks for the encouragement, got it working now on fresh Kodi install on WIndows 10. I'm fine to keep this thread here as there are quite a few DietPi/Emby users that may be interested in this.

John

Quizzer

Post by Quizzer » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:37 am

No problem, glad it's working.

Yeah sounds like a path I took - Plex from it's launch to Emby a few years ago and now Jellyfin from early this year.

Seems like a decent set of devs on the project so I'm hopeful it has a long future - and they're always looking for help via pull requests from those with the relevant skills (one of the reasons I thought it would be good to get Jellyfin added to the DietPi software list was for visibility).

johnvick
Legend

Post by johnvick » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:09 pm

Have you had any success with hardware transcoding?

Quizzer

Post by Quizzer » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:05 pm

Personally no. I’ve seen others report it works.

I have DietPi running on lowly a RPi b+ so it’s pointless. Also prefer my clients to do the heavy lifting and direct play everything to Kodi (and I don’t watch away from my home network).

I actually turn off transcoding at server level (pretty much the sole reason I ditched Plex- it kept trying to transcode when it shouldn’t and no user configurable way of stopping it).

johnvick
Legend

Post by johnvick » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:38 pm

I've ordered a Beelink J45 to try transcoding out as my daughter's Samsung tablet does not cope well with 265 encoded 1080 files. It has a Pentium quad core and Inter 505 graphics so should do something.

John

Quizzer

Post by Quizzer » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:38 pm

Nice. The CPU under Debian based Linux should be compatible with VAAPI. Will be interested to hear how you get on.

johnvick
Legend

Post by johnvick » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:47 am

I'll report back here. First job is to get DietPi running and then Jellyfin.

ricardocd

Post by ricardocd » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:39 pm

I would like to install Jellyfin using Docker. But I need some tutorial. Someone can help me?

johnvick
Legend

Post by johnvick » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:03 pm

I haven't tried but have you seen this:

https://jellyfin.readthedocs.io/en/late ... docker-hub