core temp meter for htop

Suggestions for features and software you would like to see in DietPi, goes here.
WarHawk

core temp meter for htop

Post by WarHawk » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:31 pm

Found this...might be a new way to implement "cpu" to see temps..any developers want to take a stab at it...maybe make it a permanent addon in later revisions for dietpi?

https://plus.google.com/+RalfStemmer/posts/FcFkn8F7ajM

MichaIng
Legend

Re: core temp meter for htop

Post by MichaIng » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:04 pm

Great, thanks for this :thumbs up:!
I will do PR for implementation this evening.

Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:55 pm

Looks great, but compared to stock htop:

Additional dependencies:
– python - You need it for a script used by htop to generates header-files
– lm_sensors - I use the sensors tool to get the temperatures.

Quote from RPi user
I did a quick look on my raspi2 - There is a sensor (/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0).
I would say the problem is the sensor tool. But to be honest: The real problem ist the patch ;) - It would be better to read the temp-files inside the thermal-directories instead of using a third-party tool, but had no time to rewrite the code yet.

So either you try to make sensors work, or you need to implement the file-method (and share it with us :) )
Our program does this without any of pre-reqs (simply /sys/class/thermal/*)

Code: Select all

cpu
Would be a great addition, but I can see this will need alot more work in the htop code, to support all devices we offer. Maybe best leave this for user to try, leaving it outside of DietPi for now?
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal and Bitcoin.

MichaIng
Legend

Post by MichaIng » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:41 pm

Ah yes sorry didn't have a closer look. If extra packages are necessary (especially larger ones), then I also vote ageist it for now. I will have a rough look in how hard it would be to implement the way easier method we use with our cpu command. Add new output line to htop and update it together with e.g. cpu usage. But I am afraid this would be quite some work and research.