Z83-II and other Atom based devices

Suggestions for features and software you would like to see in DietPi, goes here.
n8xyn
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:04 am

Z83-II and other Atom based devices

Post by n8xyn » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:52 pm

Just wondering if maybe some day you might be able to include a version for these devices. The X86 version doesnt work and these machines live every where :-) I'm setting here with one running Ubuntu but it cant use the onboard devices like to wifi, audio or even HDMI audio so it useless as a nice little KODI machine... Thanks for all the hard work and I have actually donates a couple times and in all likelyhood will again :-)

User avatar
Fourdee
Site Admin
Posts: 2746
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:36 pm

Re: Z83-II and other Atom based devices

Post by Fourdee » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:13 pm

n8xyn wrote:Just wondering if maybe some day you might be able to include a version for these devices. The X86 version doesnt work and these machines live every where :-) I'm setting here with one running Ubuntu but it cant use the onboard devices like to wifi, audio or even HDMI audio so it useless as a nice little KODI machine... Thanks for all the hard work and I have actually donates a couple times and in all likelyhood will again :-)
Hi,

Have you tried our x86_64 UEFI beta image?
https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issue ... -336522021

Got it running on the Z83-II right now :)

Code: Select all

 ───────────────────────────────────────
 DietPi     | 22:14 | Fri 10/11/17
 ───────────────────────────────────────
 V158       | Native PC (x86_64)
 ───────────────────────────────────────
 IP Address | 192.168.0.130
 ───────────────────────────────────────

 Created by : Daniel Knight
 Web        : http://DietPi.com
 Twitter    : http://twitter.com/dietpi_
 Donate     : http://goo.gl/pzISt9
 DietPi's web hosting is powered by: MyVirtualServer.com

 dietpi-launcher  = All the DietPi programs in one place.
 dietpi-config    = Feature rich configuration tool for your device.
 dietpi-software  = Select optimized software for installation.
 htop             = Resource monitor.
 cpu              = Shows CPU information and stats.

root@DietPi:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep Intel
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
model name      : Intel(R) Atom(TM) x5-Z8350  CPU @ 1.44GHz
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
model name      : Intel(R) Atom(TM) x5-Z8350  CPU @ 1.44GHz
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
model name      : Intel(R) Atom(TM) x5-Z8350  CPU @ 1.44GHz
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
model name      : Intel(R) Atom(TM) x5-Z8350  CPU @ 1.44GHz
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal and Bitcoin.

User avatar
johnvick
Legend
Posts: 530
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:53 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Z83-II and other Atom based devices

Post by johnvick » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:33 pm

This looks interesting Fourdee how does this device compare to the XU4?

John

n8xyn
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:04 am

Re: Z83-II and other Atom based devices

Post by n8xyn » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:02 am

Fourdee wrote:
n8xyn wrote:Just wondering if maybe some day you might be able to include a version for these devices. The X86 version doesnt work and these machines live every where :-) I'm setting here with one running Ubuntu but it cant use the onboard devices like to wifi, audio or even HDMI audio so it useless as a nice little KODI machine... Thanks for all the hard work and I have actually donates a couple times and in all likelyhood will again :-)
Hi,

Have you tried our x86_64 UEFI beta image?
https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issue ... -336522021

Got it running on the Z83-II right now :)

Is it running the onboard hardware? That's so cool ;-)

n8xyn
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:04 am

Re: Z83-II and other Atom based devices

Post by n8xyn » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:50 am

I'm trying it right now, it's absolutly beautiful to be able to use something I've become so comfortable with. Thanks again for this one, I'm looking forward to the first release version :-)

User avatar
Fourdee
Site Admin
Posts: 2746
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:36 pm

Re: Z83-II and other Atom based devices

Post by Fourdee » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:45 pm

n8xyn wrote:I'm trying it right now, it's absolutly beautiful to be able to use something I've become so comfortable with. Thanks again for this one, I'm looking forward to the first release version :-)
Hi

Please let us know how it goes, and, If the UEFI image writing and install process is working correctly (i've only tested my own board). If it is, i'll add the info/download to our DietPi.com site.

Intel GPU driver setup:
https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issue ... -321577913
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal and Bitcoin.

User avatar
Fourdee
Site Admin
Posts: 2746
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:36 pm

Re: Z83-II and other Atom based devices

Post by Fourdee » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:49 pm

johnvick wrote:This looks interesting Fourdee how does this device compare to the XU4?

John
Hi John,

Its x86, should perform better in theory, however, its only 4 cores. Runs much cooler than XU4 under load.

Run benchmark:

Code: Select all

apt-get install sysbench -y
sysbench --test=cpu --num-threads=$(nproc --all) --cpu-max-prime=20000 run #--memory-total-size=768M run
Z83-II results:

Code: Select all

sysbench 0.4.12:  multi-threaded system evaluation benchmark

Running the test with following options:
Number of threads: 4

Doing CPU performance benchmark

Threads started!
Done.

Maximum prime number checked in CPU test: 20000


Test execution summary:
    total time:                          15.0379s
    total number of events:              10000
    total time taken by event execution: 60.1320
    per-request statistics:
         min:                                  5.72ms
         avg:                                  6.01ms
         max:                                 38.07ms
         approx.  95 percentile:               6.02ms

Threads fairness:
    events (avg/stddev):           2500.0000/3.74
    execution time (avg/stddev):   15.0330/0.00
RPI 3:

Code: Select all

root@DietPi:~# sysbench --test=cpu --num-threads=$(nproc --all) --cpu-max-prime=20000 run
sysbench 0.4.12:  multi-threaded system evaluation benchmark

Running the test with following options:
Number of threads: 4

Doing CPU performance benchmark

Threads started!
Done.

Maximum prime number checked in CPU test: 20000


Test execution summary:
    total time:                          119.4642s
    total number of events:              10000
    total time taken by event execution: 477.8237
    per-request statistics:
         min:                                 47.69ms
         avg:                                 47.78ms
         max:                                 97.50ms
         approx.  95 percentile:              47.90ms

Threads fairness:
    events (avg/stddev):           2500.0000/3.74
    execution time (avg/stddev):   119.4559/0.01

If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal and Bitcoin.

n8xyn
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:04 am

Re: Z83-II and other Atom based devices

Post by n8xyn » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:25 pm

Should we maybe move this conversation to a new thread somewhere else? BTW the install went smoothly and other then lack of audio it's quite usable :D

User avatar
johnvick
Legend
Posts: 530
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:53 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Z83-II and other Atom based devices

Post by johnvick » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:01 am

Here's the XU4 results:

Number of threads: 8

Doing CPU performance benchmark

Threads started!
Done.

Maximum prime number checked in CPU test: 20000

Test execution summary:
total time: 65.7555s
total number of events: 10000
total time taken by event execution: 525.8320
per-request statistics:
min: 28.02ms
avg: 52.58ms
max: 132.52ms
approx. 95 percentile: 75.55ms

Threads fairness:
events (avg/stddev): 1250.0000/50.71
execution time (avg/stddev): 65.7290/0.01

This device looks good. Aliexpress have them from $87 US up - anyone know if you can get them cheaper or without Windows 10 (which must add to the cost)? With Intel graphics it may perform well transcoding video with Emby.

Update - just ordered one from Aliexpress - I wonder if the Windows 10 license is transferable as I am planning a new desktop build soon?

Edit - apparantly you can: https://www.groovypost.com/howto/transf ... se-new-pc/

John

User avatar
Fourdee
Site Admin
Posts: 2746
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:36 pm

Re: Z83-II and other Atom based devices

Post by Fourdee » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:55 pm

n8xyn wrote:Should we maybe move this conversation to a new thread somewhere else? BTW the install went smoothly and other then lack of audio it's quite usable :D
Excellent, thanks for letting us know, i'll get this added to dietpi.com and set to open beta.

I'll make a note of audio issue.

For server usage, it should be stable. DietPi needs to work on audio and GPU implementation.
Got mine running PiHole and VNC server at the moment, so much faster than ARM :)
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal and Bitcoin.

Post Reply