boot partition kernel panic after update to 6.34 Topic is solved

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
yaslaw

boot partition kernel panic after update to 6.34

Post by yaslaw »

Guys, maybe anyone has any idea what caused that and how to recover.
After update to 6.34 yesterday, everything seems working fine. But today I was not able to connect to rpi4 via SSH, as I got constant

Code: Select all

ssh_exchange_identification: read: Connection reset by peer
error while trying to. So I decided to unplug rpi4 from power and reboot it that way.
But then, I finished with a catastrophic error

Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-bloc 179,2
I tried to repair boot partition using fsck.msdos under MacOS BigSur, but without any success (I see files on the boot partition that is formatted as FAT32).

Anyone have any idea, how I can recover with loss of all settings and program installed?

Thanks in advance

P.S content of cmdline.txt is pasted below:

console=tty1 root=PARTUUID=907af7d0-02 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait quiet net.ifnames=0
yaslaw

Re: boot partition kernel panic after update to 6.34

Post by yaslaw »

Ok. This was caused by errors in my data partition (ext4). Fsck repaired them, but several libraries were gone, and it will take me more time to "repair" that then to make a clean install
I managed to copy some config files, and I reinstalled dietpi on the reformatted sd card.
So the problem was not related to my update, but this was just bad timing with this update ;)
Joulinar

Re: boot partition kernel panic after update to 6.34

Post by Joulinar »

uh yeah a corrupted SD card is a good reason for kernel issues. Probably files got inocorrectly written down to SD card during apt upgrade process
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team