RBPi 4 + Transmission - Unable to save resume file: No space left on device

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
fcupdt

RBPi 4 + Transmission - Unable to save resume file: No space left on device

Post by fcupdt »

Hello everybody
i was happily using my radarr + transmission combo on my RBPi 4 until this error occurred
error.png
According to this post viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1285&hilit=unable+to+save+resume seems like transmission is saving data on SD instead of using USB (mnt/diethd)
error2.png
Any help?
fcupdt

Re: RBPi 4 + Transmission - Unable to save resume file: No space left on device

Post by fcupdt »

After rebooting all files go back live, but as time passes the error pops up again -
error3.png
fcupdt

Post by fcupdt »

Tried this

sudo nano /etc/transmission-daemon/settings.json

changed these lines
“incomplete-dir”: my USB HD
“incomplete-dir-enabled”: true,

started to run the service again but got this error

root@DietPi:~# sudo service transmission-daemon start
Job for transmission-daemon.service failed because the control process exited with error code.

See "systemctl status transmission-daemon.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
root@DietPi:~# systemctl status transmission-daemon.service

● transmission-daemon.service - Transmission BitTorrent Daemon
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/transmission-daemon.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2020-12-01 16:59:05 GMT; 12s ago
Process: 6088 ExecStart=/usr/bin/transmission-daemon -f --log-error (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Main PID: 6088 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Dec 01 16:59:05 DietPi systemd[1]: Starting Transmission BitTorrent Daemon...
Dec 01 16:59:05 DietPi transmission-daemon[6088]: [2020-12-01 16:59:05.203] JSON parse failed in /var/lib/transmission-
daemon/.config/transmission-daemon/settings.json at pos 569: SPECIAL_EXPECTED -- remaining text "# "download-queu"
Dec 01 16:59:05 DietPi transmission-daemon[6088]: [2020-12-01 16:59:05.203] transmission-daemon Error loading config fi
le -- exiting. (daemon.c:693)
Dec 01 16:59:05 DietPi systemd[1]: transmission-daemon.service: Main process exited, code=exite
d, status=1/FAILURE
Dec 01 16:59:05 DietPi systemd[1]: transmission-daemon.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Dec 01 16:59:05 DietPi systemd[1]: Failed to start Transmission BitTorrent Daemon.

Tried to reboot but Transmission not loading
● transmission-daemon.service loaded failed failed Transmission BitTorrent Daemon
fcupdt

Post by fcupdt »

In the meanwhile
- I cancelled a few incomplete files and the error didn't occur anymore
- i checked what was going on with /root and found out that the /var folder had 24G

so I run
root@DietPi:~# du /var -h --max-depth=1

4.0K /var/mail
4.0K /var/local
24G /var/lib
16K /var/spool
26M /var/cache
860K /var/tmp
14M /var/www
1.2M /var/log
1.4M /var/backups
4.0K /var/opt
24G /var

and with a more in depth search

24G /var/lib/plexmediaserver

so it seems like transmission stops because Plex is filling up to much space in the SD card
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

Hi,

could be plex is going to store stuff for transcoding? Maybe you should consider to move your whole RootFS to an external HDD. This would be recommended anyway to reduce r/w operation on your SD card. Or you move the whole system into a HDD and get ride of the SD card at all.

Maybe you can search for the largest files on your system

Code: Select all

du -a / | sort -n -r | head -n 20
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
fcupdt

Post by fcupdt »

According to Plex forum it's a common problem - I'm trying to move Plex Library to the HDD https://forums.plex.tv/t/moving-pms-library/197342

Anyway I always thought that booting up from SD was faster and less error-prone - am I wrong?

But it might be the right move as right now it won't boot if the HDD is disconnected anyway - probably because userdata are on HDD, or there's another explanation?
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

Usually it should boot, but services might fail if they depend on user data directory. Basically you could have your entire system located on a SSD and should be quite fast.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team