Missing groups

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
langrock

Missing groups

Post by langrock »

Hi,

I have Dietpi installed on several Raspberry Pis, both at home and at work. On one of them, an RPi2, I just ran into a weird problem regarding the groups command. Issuing the command, I would expect to see all groups present on the machine, but only a single group is being displayed, 'dietpi'. On another Pi, I get

dietpi adm tty dialout cdrom sudo audio www-data video plugdev games users input netdev gpio i2c spi

I am confused as to why most of these groups are also present on the RPi2. I ran into the problem of not being able to access /dev/ttyAMA0, for example, which made me look into how to add the user 'dietpi' to the 'dialout' or 'tty' group. Alas, those groups aren't even present.

Any ideas what might be going on? I am a big fan of the Dietpi distro, and have never had any problems until today. Very solid, lightweight, and stable, even on an RPi Zero W. Thanks for the great work.

Regards
MichaIng
Site Admin

Re: Missing groups

Post by MichaIng »

The groups command only shows you the groups the executing users is member of. The dietpi user is only member of its own primary group by default, so this is the only one listed. Since we aim to remove the dietpi user by times, and if not used, a user with plenty of privileges is kinda security issue, we do not add it to those groups anymore. One future version will instead implement a nice "Create login user" feature where system groups (with related permissions) can be selected and it will be offered to create a new login user on first boot.

To show the full list of available groups: getent group
To add dietpi to dialout and tty groups: usermod -aG dialout,tty dietpi