Connecting over the internet

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
Calado

Re: Connecting over the internet

Post by Calado »

-bash: iptables: command not found
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

what type of internet router you are using?
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
trendy

Post by trendy »

Keep in mind that FTP is a multi port protocol. Even if you have forwarded tcp 21 on the router, it is not enough to transfer files.
If SSH is working fine, I think the easiest for you would be to install openssh-sftp and use that for file transfer. On the plus side you'll get the encryption, which FTP doesn't have. But on the other hand you need to make sure that SSH is properly hardened (no root login, no password authentication, setup ssh keys, non standard port, maybe port knocking).
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

that's why I would recommend to use VPN to connect. This will enable you to access all applications at home, without limitations and secured.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
Calado

Post by Calado »

Sorry about the delay. Over the last week, somehow I got SMB to work when trying to reinstall the application once more, but the communication is excrutiatingly slow. I'm starting to suspect these issues are related to the ISP router limitations.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

did you tried to setup a VPN connection? how does it behave?
S10

Post by S10 »

I'm having the same troubles on my odroid XU4.
I've just wrote a forumpost here on the same matter. with logs and all.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8056
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

just as an update. Issue of user @S10 has been solved and it was totally different one ;)
Calado

Post by Calado »

Hi. I set up wireguard and nothing changed. After fumbling around, I tried setting up an omv and everything works fine (except docker can't handle network volumes), so the problem must be something I messed up. I'll just scrub the whole thing and start over.