DietPi/PiFace/Home Assistant help required Topic is solved

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
brianm

Re: DietPi/PiFace/Home Assistant help required

Post by brianm »

The DietPi dev team has done a great job at creating a way of installing optimized software including HASS. When they pulled the plug on HASSBIAN I was hunting around for alternatives and fell on DietPi. Anyways, I followed the instructions and had a current working version of HASS installed in no time. Unfortunately though the PiFace board did not interface as well but I am determined to figure it out and I agree with you, it does appear to be a permissions issue of some sort. I just need to figure out what group permissions are required for user homeassistant and I should be fine. I will keep plugging away.

Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

ok, pls keep us posted. Probably it will help others if they hit similar issues.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team

brianm

Post by brianm »

Good morning forum and glad to report that I discovered a fix.

Resolution: Adding the group "spi" to the user "homeassistant" resolved the issue.
I also added the group "i2c" to the user as well just in case the i2c protocol is ever required.

I hope that my persistence is able to help someone out some day.

MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

Many thanks for reporting and investigating this issue, guys. I think we should add the HA user to SPI+I2C groups by default, as this is a common use-case. Will be done for v6.29.