[SOLVED] NordVPN - Transmission,Plex - Seeding not work, no Port Forwarding

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
luzifia

Re: NordVPN - Transmission,Plex - Seeding not work, no Port Forwarding

Post by luzifia » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:26 pm

@MichaIng

As you can see, i've done all configs like the docs told me.

In normal case I'have uPnP off in my router and deluge, transmission. I always wants to know which ports are used. the rest is blocked. this check ind this box was my last hope to checkbox-god. but he didn't hear me :-(

please talk to the NordVPN support and let me know.
I've 20 days left 4 the NordVPN Contract closing clause of 3y duation.

i also wants to use this VPN, because Dietpi supports it and installation as well :-)

MichaIng
Legend

Post by MichaIng » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:45 pm

Might I ask you do contact the support yourself? The reason is that you have a contract already and in case they need to do checks based on your account and/or some setup/config details that you can derive from your DietPi and/or router.

As I don't use NordVPN personally (nor do torrenting), I cannot test the same here to verify it's a general issue and not related to your network setup or ISP.

However if either other users report the same issue and/or the support indeed finds some setup issue that DietPi(-NordVPN or Deluge install) does, we will fix this as fast as possible. In case of multiple user reports and no solution by the support, we will ask NordVPN to either give us a free trial for testing or consume some donation/funding for this.

luzifia

Post by luzifia » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:31 pm

@MichaIng
ok i try to talk to the guys from NordVPN, but this takes a little.

for that I need a quiet minute. Support from Companies normaly are a little difficult - they always complicated, thats the reason why i asked here.

community, admins, coder here at Dietpi are normally friendly - as you have demonstrated nearly every day 8)

So give me a little time for that. I need to gather strength for that :P

have a nice day
Luzi

luzifia

Post by luzifia » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:08 am

Hello @MichaIng

I've found something if i did a manual connection with openVPN to a NordVPN Server
TunnelConnectOpenVPN.PNG
What you think, can there be a problem?

arturo

Post by arturo » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:17 am

Hi,
I also have trouble with Deluge + nordvpn
a 700mb file with the vpn tunnel enabled gave an estimated time of completion of 3 years (connected to a nordvpn p2p enabled server), with socks5 configured in Deluge (if you configure it just in the first box and do Apply, it gets configured for the other options too). I disabled the vpn since I couldn't really wait 3 years and the file was downloaded in 10 minutes

With rtorrent I never had this problem even though I never did anything fancy like configuring socks5 or connecting to a particular server (I guess I was luckly with my choice of servers)

So looking forward to rtorrent+rutorrent working again...
Thanks a lot guys!

luzifia

Post by luzifia » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:50 pm

@MichaIng
Hello

I've talked to the guys from Nord.

So, yes there was a problem with the tunnel connection ... we've changed username an passwort an now the tunnel can start with direct command:

Code: Select all

sudo openvpn de527.nordvpn.com.udp1194.ovpn
I have etablished now a tunnel, but deluge always has the same error.
I have configured also the same in NordVPN. So is there a log to find whats going on?

Luzi

P.S.:
The Last Mail from NordVPN
NordVPN (NordVPN)

Mar 21, 05:55 EET

Hello, Gerhard,

The logs ending with 'Initialization Sequence Completed' suggest that you were successfully connected.

Please try various combinations of the settings in your torrent client Preferences > Network > Network Extras section.

Let us know how it went.

Best Regards,
Marco Cruz
Customer Success Team
NordVPN.com

MichaIng
Legend

Post by MichaIng » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:42 pm

@luzifia
As downloading worked well before, connection + authentication to the server was not an issue. However if the AUTH error you showed is gone with de527.nordvpn.com.udp1194.ovpn, that's well.

OpenVPN logs to journald: journalctl -u openvpn
DietPi-NordVPN starts OpenVPN as well but the systemd unit has its own journal identifier: journalctl -u dietpi-nordvpn

AFAIK there is no separate log file by default (for OpenVPN).

Btw did you try to use a TCP server instead of UDP?

@arturo
Does seeding work in your case with Deluge? And also please try to switch between TCP and UDP.

rTorrent (ruTorrent) fix is already in Beta, if you want to test it: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/2632

Deluge has also been enhanced, but only about run user, service file and log locations to match Debian package default and official recommendations. But nothing that would affect connection or transfer behaviour.

luzifia

Post by luzifia » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:25 pm

@MichaIng
Hello

In logfile there is no error.
I've tried to use TCP Server.

All Experiments same result ... it did not work :(

@arturo
If seeding works ... how did you install this?
Can you post some simple steps or a link? So that i can try it?

Edit:

OK, I've done a fresh install with Transmission again, and if tunnel is up, then transmission says port is closed. there is no difference between Dietpi-NordVPN or the original OpenVPN tunnel from Nord.
Without tunnel Transmission works as it should. :cry:

Luzi

MichaIng
Legend

Post by MichaIng » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:26 pm

luzifia wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:25 pm
OK, I've done a fresh install with Transmission again, and if tunnel is up, then transmission says port is closed. there is no difference between Dietpi-NordVPN or the original OpenVPN tunnel from Nord.
Yeah this is what I expected. So neither the torrent download tool nor our DietPi-NordVPN implementation is the issue. Still very strange. Perhaps ask again the NordVPN support with this results. I hope that the issue is not due to your ISP blocking incoming requests through VPNs or such, but would be indeed strange and in Germany ISPs should not do such limitations, at least I am not aware of such. Only bandwidth limitations in case of intense uploads might occur, but not complete blocks. :?

MichaIng
Legend

Post by MichaIng » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:57 pm

Btw to test if it is really related to the VPN provider and not to local network setup and/or ISP, you could try the free VPN service from one of our prior contributors: https://pilovali.nl/free-vpn/

At the bottom you find the .ovpn file that needs to be started with the openvpn command. If it works, we need to compare the files first (check possible variable settings) and in case we have a proof that it is an issue of NordVPN.

Please note that this free VPN has limited speed and canNOT be used for regular torrent downloads. You would be blocked in case. So this is only for testing if the torrent downloaders report seeding availability.