New user with lot of problems need help please

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
MichaIng
Site Admin

Re: New user with lot of problems need help please

Post by MichaIng »

Hmm, not sure that what causes the drive being busy. Could you post what htop shows is running?
redjr

Post by redjr »

Is that readable?
HTOP_Screen.jpg
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

Hmm, the list is not complete, if you scroll down via up/down buttons, you should see more.

However perhaps dietpi-cloudshell somehow blocks the drive by reading it's information for a certain scene, not sure.
There is a NTFS specific process active, which is responsible to mimic unix permissions, which are otherwise not supported by NTFS. This should not block the drive from being unmounted, instead stop automatically if no NTFS drive is mounted.

But just in case you can try to kill the /sbin/mount.ntfs and dietpi-cloudshell processes by selecting them with up/down buttons and press F9 and return.
redjr

Post by redjr »

Thanks for all your help. I've decided to uninstall both samba and cloudshell and start-over. No worries, it's good practice I need! I think I better understand the order of things now. I'm going to get Samba going first with the drive configuration before installing Cloudshell. BTW, do I need to install the Samba client, or just the server? I will be operating as headless.

One thing I'm curious about with Dietpi is when you install software, how do you tell it to start automatically. I know that's an option on the menu, but when my son and I couple of weeks ago installed the Roon Bridge, we thought we then had to go and tell Dietpi to start it. Only to find out it had started without any additional software configuration once it rebooted.
redjr

Post by redjr »

Ok, I reinstalled Samba FS and manually formatted the drives back to EXT4. I mounted each using Drive_Manager. What's next now? I've edited the path = /mnt in the smb.config and saved. Is there anything else I need to do in DietPi? I still cannot see the drives in WIndows as drives under Network. Something in Windows left to do? How does Samba start as a service in DietPi?

Rick
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

A reboot should have solved the busy state as well, in worst case shutdown, plug off drives, start up again and re-attach. However not bad as well playing around a bid, to learn how things behave on Linux systems.

You don't need to install the Samba client. This is required only, if you have a Samba server on another machine (e.g. Windows) and want to mount it to the DietPi system. This is actually easiest done via drive manager > Network drives as well.

When you install software via dietpi-software it implements a systemd service automatically to start on boot and handle when you do maintenance stuff (e.g. updates, drive manager, other software installs and such). You see dietpi-services starting/stopping as sign for this.

The Samba services (you should see in htop as well) are called smbd and nmbd you should see them starting/stopping by dietpi-services as well, which you can also force:
dietpi-services stop smbd
dietpi-services start smbd
dietpi-services restart smbd

Or to handle all services together:
dietpi-services start|stop|restart