Unable to boot into DietPi | Failed to load DietPi-Globals Topic is solved

Having issues with your DietPi installation or found a bug? Post it here.
sew3521

Re: Unable to boot into DietPi | Failed to load DietPi-Globals

Post by sew3521 »

You, my friend, are a genius. Everything is working now. I am going to start a new backup in a few minutes.
The only issue I ran into was fstab was not able to be written to at first because the partition was in read only mode. I fixed that using the command

Code: Select all

mount / -o remount,rw
and was able to append your two lines.

Thank you again for all of the assistance. I really appreciate it.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

can you do a reboot and verify all is working, including to be able to write to RootFS as well as BootFS. Usually r/o file systems indicates issues on the SD card
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
sew3521

Post by sew3521 »

Joulinar wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:06 pm can you do a reboot and verify all is working, including to be able to write to RootFS as well as BootFS. Usually r/o file systems indicates issues on the SD card
I feel silly asking this however I have very little Linux knowledge. Do I do this by making sure I can write a file to the root directory and the boot directory? If so, then I think everything is working. I was able to write a file "test.txt" to root and boot.

To make sure I am explaining everything correctly I have attached a screenshot.
Attachments
2021-04-14 09_27_41-192.168.3.2 - PuTTY.png
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

yes that's basically right way. But it could be way simpler ;)

Code: Select all

touch /test.file
touch /boot/test.file

touch will create the file right away and it is not needed to use nano
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
sew3521

Post by sew3521 »

Ah, very nice. Thanks :)
Ya, I just used Nano to make a test file at what I assumed each location would be. I have a few decades of Windows and Networking experience and am currently patching a 22 host VMware environment as I write this so I am not a complete tech noob... Just a noob when it comes to things I do not have experience with, like Linux :D
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

I was start supporting this project with just little knowledge on these thinks but it's growing over time, the more you look into it. And not to forget my best friend Google :lol:
sew3521

Post by sew3521 »

Google is my best friend as well. It is how I found out about the mount / -o remount,rw command I mentioned earlier. I also did quite a bit of Google-fu before opening up this thread.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

yeah at the end we found it :)
good you are back online now