Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:03 pm
Changes / Improvements / Optimisations
Changes / Improvements / Optimisations
- FriendlyARM ZeroPi | Initial hardware identifier (ID: 59) and support for this device has been added to DietPi. Many thanks to @Stephan for creating the related DietPi image: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/3221
- RPi | An updated USBridgeSig Ethernet driver, as provided by allo.com, will be applied via postinst kernel script, until it has been merged into official RPi kernel: https://github.com/allocom/USBridgeSig/tree/master/ethernet
- RPi4 | Added generic RPi4 revision code detection to include the new revisions [abc]03112 and potential new PCB v1.3 til v1.9 once released. Many thanks to @Joulinar for reporting the missing new revision code: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/3257#issuecomment-565370856
- RPi4 | Since RPi4, bootloader and USB firmware is stored on an internal EEPROM, which is not updated/flashed by the firmware APT package installs automatically. The additional "rpi-eeprom" package comes with an EEPROM update script and boot service, which will now be installed on DietPi update and firstrun setup automatically, if RPi4 is detected. Those firmware updates include power consumption (hence heat emission) optimisations and enable additional boot methods, currently network boot and USB boot is planned as well. This was reason enough for us to implement it automatically for all RPi4 systems. Additionally you can actively install/update the EEPROM manually via dietpi-config > Advanced Options > Update RPi4 EEPROM firmware. For additional information, read the official docs: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/booteeprom.md Many thanks to @trueaspects for informing us about this important subject: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/3217
- Virtual Machines | Intel/AMD CPU microcode update packages are not installed/purged from virtual machines. The CPU is provided by the host, hypervisors do not allow to update microcode from within the guest, reasonably, and if they did, this would be serious security and stability issue.
- DietPi-Globals | A new function G_TERM_CLEAR has been added to clear a current terminal view by moving content into scrollback buffer. The previous method erased current visible content on some terminal types. Many thanks to @rdslw for reporting this issue: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/1615#issuecomment-562928032
- DietPi-PREP | New images will have all man pages and documentation files for installed packages available. Those were removed until now, but prevented users from simply installing man-db to view man pages on the system, without reinstalling packages to restore those first. Many thanks to @smudgered for doing this suggestion: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/3259
- DietPi-Software | The general network check against first sources.list entry has been replaced by a pure connectivity test and separate DNS resolver test via ping. This solves an issue where sources.list parsing failed when [arch=...] was specified and allows better debugging. The sources list entries themselves are checked and error-handled by G_AGUP already. Ping target IP for connection test and domain for DNS resolver test can be set via dietpi.txt, default is Cloudflare DNS IP and domain which should be very reliable and fast all over the world. Many thanks to @lwqcz for reporting the issue and providing a solution: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/pull/3243
- DietPi-Software | TasmoAdmin: The administrative website to manage ESP8266 devices flashed with Tasmota for smart home systems is now available for install. Many thanks to @svh1985 for implementing this software title: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/3103
- DietPi-Software | ownCloud: Enabled install on Buster, Bullseye and ARMv6 RPi models (RPi1+Zero). ownCloud 10.3 has been release with PHP7.3 support, hence it can be used with native distro PHP7.3 and does not require Ondrej's PHP repo which does not support armv6hf.
- DietPi-Software | Syncthing: Enhanced service by security hardenings and to allow internal updates and auto updates without failing to restart. Moved binary from /etc/syncthing to /opt/syncthing to match FHS and disabled file logging, which is an unnecessary overhead, since logs can be easily viewed via "journalctl -u syncthing". Changes will be applied to all installs on v6.27 update, existing configs won't be touched by this.
- DietPi-Software | NAA daemon: Latest version is now scraped from base URL and installed automatically. Many thanks to @Heroldgray for doing this suggestion: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/3191
- DietPi-Software | Home Assistant: Python3.8 will be installed for the pyenv from now on due to Python3.6 deprecation. Many thanks to @sdomotica for providing this information: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/3219
- DietPi-Software | Home Assistant: When selecting for install, one will be informed about possibly long install/build times. Many thanks to @Gill-Bates for doing this suggestion to avoid users assuming their install process being stuck: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/2897
- DietPi-Software | Home Assistant: Vastly reduced Home Assistant dependencies and install complexity. It does not run inside a virtualenv of pyenv anymore, since it has already its unique pyenv Python instance. pyenv is still required due to the large amount of specific module versions, required for HA and its integrations. The alternative would be a venv from a globally installed Python instance, but this requires further thoughts and discussion. The amount of development libraries and tools, installed via APT, has been updated and reduced to a minimum to build Python and Home Assistant inside the pyenv without errors and warnings. There is a slightly increased chance that certain HA components need additional development packages. To cover this, two new settings have been added to dietpi.txt: "SOFTWARE_HOMEASSISTANT_APT_DEPS" and "SOFTWARE_HOMEASSISTANT_PIP_DEPS". Add a space-separated list of APT packages and pip modules respectively, to have those installed automatically with Home Assistant. As well activating the pyenv environment from console is now easier possible via "source /home/homeassistant/pyenv-activate.sh" as user "homeassistant". Additionally "/home/homeassistant/homeassistant-update.sh" has been added, which can be called by any sudo-capable user to update Home Assistant easily.
- DietPi-Software | Node-RED: Access permissions to I2C is now enabled by default on RPi and other SBCs which ship a configured "i2c" group by default. Many thanks to @NastySpill for reporting an underlying issue: https://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6862
- DietPi-Software | Gitea: The latest version will now be pulled from GitHub automatically.
- DietPi-Software | Amiberry: Updated to v3.0.9, a large update from v2.25 with many improvements, see: https://github.com/midwan/amiberry/releases
- DietPi-Software | Amiberry: Since we ship a tailored SDL2 version, this has now been merged right into the Amiberry download archive and install directory, to not interfere with other system-wide installed SDL2 instances.
- DietPi-Software | Kodi: Add GPU-accelerated support for Odroid N2 via fbdev driver and special Kodi build, provided by Meveric. Many thanks to @ernero93 for doing this request: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/3255
- DietPi-Software | Koel: The latest upstream release will be pulled automatically now, v4.2.2 at date of writing. Dependencies have been updated accordingly, e.g. latest Koel supports latest Node.js v13.5.0.
- DietPi-Software | NoMachine: Updated to latest version 6.9.2 and switched to URL with no version string, which allows us to update downloads on-the-fly without code changes. Download URLs from official website have been simplified and follow some logic, but there are no "latest" URLs available and older versions are not kept, hence we must go on hosting those packages on dietpi.com.
- DietPi-Software | Allo web UI: Updated to version 13.1, which mostly fixes some compatibility issues with DietPi v6.27 and Debian Buster systems. For details, see: /var/www/allo/CHANGELOG.txt
- DietPi-Software | phpMyAdmin: The APT package install has been replaced by an upstream archive download. This allows us to ship the most current version on all distro versions and avoids incompatibility due to PHP meta packages being pulled as dependencies by the APT package. Install on Buster and Bullseye is possible now by this and incompatibility with concurrent ownCloud and phpBB has been resolved. On Stretch this resolves an issue due to new PHP7.4 being pulled by "php" meta package from Ondrejs repo. Many thanks to @symlagom for reporting this issue: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/3284
- DietPi-PREP | Resolved an issue, where in rare cases a wrong $PATH variable could break command calls. Many thanks to @dtm2001 for reporting this issue: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/3206
- DietPi-Explorer | Resolved an issue where handling of file/directory paths with white spaces failed. Many thanks to @gabboman for reporting this issue: https://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7046
- DietPi-Drive_Manager | Resolved an issue where, after transferring the root file system, the script itself could revert the fstab entry, since a reboot was not forced anymore since v6.22. This change has been reverted, hence a reboot cannot be skipped to avoid any fstab revert and inconsistency with cmdline. Many thanks to @DutchFlash for reporting this issue: https://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6645
- DietPi-Drive_Manager | Resolved an issue where, in rare cases, all drives were mounted as R/O on boot. Many thanks to @samolego for reporting this issue: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/3268
- DietPi-Autostart | Resolved an issue where non-interactive script calls, e.g. done by dietpi-software installs, reset prior made auto login user choices. Many thanks to @zedrdave for reporting this issue: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/3242
- DietPi-Config | RPi: Resolved an issue where PSU noise reduction state always shows "[Off]". HDMI output will now be toggled immediately, hence no reboot is required for changes to take effect. Many thanks to @maartenlangeveld for reporting this issue: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/3187
- DietPi-Software | ownCloud/Nextcloud: An important security fix has been applied to our ownCloud/Nextcloud Nginx configs. This has been merged into our other GitHub branches as well, hence all fresh installs wont be affected. Read more about it: https://nextcloud.com/blog/urgent-security-issue-in-nginx-php-fpm/
- DietPi-Software | WireGuard: Resolved an issue where wg0 server fails to start if network has not yet fully initialised. Many thanks to @Joulinar for reporting this issue: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/3175
- DietPi-Software | Syncthing: Resolved an issue where fresh install failed to start due to missing permissions. Many thanks to @ralban, @mowestusa and @g7kse for reporting this issue: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/3180
- DietPi-Software | Gitea: Resolved an issue where fresh Gitea installs failed to start due to missing permissions. Many thanks to @NZRob for reporting this issue: https://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6550
- DietPi-Software | Home Assistant: Resolved on issue where fresh install failed to started to start due to missing permissions. Many thanks to @slopsjon, @tyjtyj and @pakikje for reporting this issue: https://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6531, https://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=20408#p20408
- DietPi-Software | Google AIY: Resolved an issue where fresh install failed to start due to missing permissions
- DietPi-Software | Grafana: Resolved an issue where install failed on RPi 1/Zero Buster systems. The fix includes an update of Grafana to the latest official version for those models. Many thanks to @TBail for reporting this issue: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/3213
- DietPi-Software | Jackett: Resolved an issue where the internal updater broke the Jackett instance. Automated updates can be safely enabled again. Many thanks to @ngosang for providing the workaround: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/2593
- DietPi-Software | Pi-hole: Resolved an issue where choosing to block public admin panel access on Nginx failed. Many thanks to @anubis-genix for reporting this issue: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/3024#issuecomment-550342684
- DietPi-Software | Java: Resolved an issue where install on ARMv6 RPis (1/Zero) on Buster system failed, since Java 11 is not ARMv6-compatible. On these system, Java 8 is now installed instead. Many thanks to @maartenlangeveld for reporting this issue: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/3182
- DietPi-Software | rTorrent: Resolved an issue where rTorrent and the webserver didn't have sufficient permissions to read and write ruTorrent web UI settings and data. Many thanks to @notDavid for reporting this issue: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/3244
- DietPi-Software | rTorrent: Updated deprecated commands and variables in our default config file. Many thanks to @bbsixzz for reporting this issue: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/3273
- DietPi-Software | rTorrent: Resolved an issue where ruTorrent DarkBetter theme was not installed. Many thanks to @bbsixzz for reporting this issue: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/3271
- DietPi-Software | Amiberry: Resolved an issue where the binary fails to execute on Odroid XU4. Many thanks to @wasu111 for reporting this issue: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/3181
- DietPi-Software | Tor Hotspot: Resolved an issue where, since Buster, Tor fails to start due to deprecated config file entries. Many thanks to @blizarazu for reporting this issue: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/3261
- DietPi-Software | Allo web GUI: Resolved an issue where web access fails due to wrong permissions. Many thanks to @Heroldgray for reporting this issue: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/3264
- DietPi-Software | GMediaRender: Resolved an issue where service fails to start due to missing permissions. Many thanks to @fnsnyc for reporting this issue: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/3263
- DietPi-Software | GMediaRender: Resolved issues due to limited binary features by using new own compiled binaries, based on gmrender-resurrect v0.0.8. Many thanks to @fnsnyc and @hifitime for reporting this issue: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/3263, https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/3246
- DietPi-Software | Nextcloud: Resolved an issue where install fails due to a bug in Nextcloud 17.0.2. DietPi will now install Nextcloud 17.0.1 until the bug has been fixed. Updates from web UI are still possible, this only affects the fresh install. Many thanks to @DevinCharles for reporting this issue: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/3275
- DietPi-Software | Redis: Resolved an issue where service start failed in some cases. File logging is now disabled and replaced by journal logging, hence all combined Redis logs are now available via: journalctl -u redis-server. Many thanks to @dankerthrone for reporting this issue: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/3291
- DietPi-Config | Enabling WiFi + Ethernet adapters, both on different subnets, breaks WiFi connection in some cases: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/2103
- RPi | On TigerVNC virtual desktop, LXAppearance hangs on dbus-launch: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/1791
- Odroid C2 | Some WiFi adapters do no work as hotspot: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/1955
- Odroid XU4 | Kodi freezes shortly on video playback: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/2584
- Rock64 | 3.5mm A/V jack is currently not functional: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/2522
- DietPi-Software | Node-RED: Pre-installed modules cannot be updated via web UI: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/2073
- DietPi-Software | Raspimjpeg: With Lighttpd, streaming mjpeg does not work: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/1747
- DietPi-Software | MATE desktop: When logging in as root, desktop items and right-clock context menu is missing: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/3160
- DietPi-Software | Sonarr/Mono: With current Mono version 6, import to a file system without UNIX permissions support (exFAT, FAT32/vfat and NTFS without "permissions" option) fails, regardless of user/umask mount options: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/3179
- DietPi-Software | Transmission: On Raspbian/Debian Stretch, RAM usage raises unlimited over time: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/2413