Update Nord VPN

Good morning everyone, does Nord VPN update automatically when a new DietPi version is released or do I have to update through apt-get update ?

Thanks

Hi,

well it depends on your own preferences. You could run apt-get update & apt-get upgrade yourselves or run dietpi-update once a new version of DietPi is available as this include apt-get update & apt-get upgrade as well.

• apt-get update: updates the list of available packages and their versions, but it does not install or upgrade any packages.
  • apt-get upgrade: actually installs newer versions of the packages you have. After updating the lists, the package manager knows about available updates for the software you have installed.

In general the way how you update your software depends on the software titel themselves and the way how it was installed. If the software was installed as Debian package, it will be updated by apt-get. On the other side you have software titel like NextCloud. They are installed from a zip archive and would need to updated individually.

I have installed it through dietpi-software.

This doesn’t matter. dietpi-software is just pulling the software titel as described by the software vendor. However in your case, NordVPN is installed as Debian package and apt-get will mange the software update.

DietPi-NordVPN is basically a UI frontend to easily invoke OpenVPN with NordVPN servers and credentials input + some additional features. OpenVPN can be updated regularly via apt as mentioned above, the UI frontend script is updated together with other DietPi scripts via dietpi-update.

Thanks for all the answers. I found this link on nord vpn website, they suggest at the end to launch the apt-get update and apt-get upgrade + a third one sudo apt-get install nordvpn

https://support.nordvpn.com/General-info/1282815902/How-to-update-NordVPN-applications.htm

As already indicated, VPN software will be updated using dietpi-update. This will update OpenVPN software as well as DietPi UI frontend script.

Thanks

Note that NordVPN has its own command line client now (where apt install nordvpn comes from). But to install this, you need to apply their APT repository first, following their install instructions from the beginning. It should also work fine and serves some additional features like a built-in killswitch. Downside is that I cannot see it open source, hence not sure which methods it uses, if they are secure and what else it does.
DietPi-NordVPN uses OpenVPN and is hence fully open source/transparent, but at least we have no killswitch there yet, still on ToDo.