Unable to update or install anything

After scrolling through the raspberry pi subreddit, I’ve read about dietpi and how it’s a much better os to use than Raspbian so I wanted to try it.

But once I try to update the system or install even using dietpi-software, I get these errors. I have tried to look for a solution all day but could not find one that would fix my problem.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi,

Looks like a system filesystem corruption, possibly linked to insufficient PSU or faulty SD card.

Which PSU/SD?

Please can you complete the following, in the link below and let us know results:

Thanks for the quick reply!

I’m using a Kingston Class 10 microSD card and I did try to redownload dietpi, reformat (FULL (Erase)) and reinstall the OS into the card but it did not work. I’m going to try Full Erase now. I’m using a generic 2.4A phone charger I found lying here in the house so power can be a suspect. I’ll try using a 2.4A Cheero battery and see if that has any effect.

Tried doing a full format by following the instructions on the link provided and experimented with all the available phone chargers here ranging from 1A to 2.4A but I still have the problem.
If someone sends me a copy of a working /usr/bin/dpkg/diversions and I replace mine with it, could it work? If not, what else can I do to isolate the problem and find out what’s causing it?

Which RPi are you running this on? I’ll run some tests here just to ensure no issues with our image.

I’m using Raspberry Pi 3 and it’s almost brand new. I’ve only been using it for less than a month now

Hi,

Ran fresh image and install of samba server on RPi 3, unable to replicate the errors your receiving.

I believe its a hardware issue, whether that is PSU, SD and/or the RPi 3 itself, not sure. But I would recommend trying a non-mobile charger PSU, most of these lack a stable 5v voltage, especially under load.

Alright thanks for all the help, really appreciate it!
It’s going to take a while for me to get a hold of a proper PSU so it looks like I’m going to have to stick with Raspbian for a while until I do. Kind of strange that I don’t have this error with Raspbian

Would it help if I get hold of a working /var/lib/dpkg/diversions and replace mine with it?

It may fix that issue now, but I wouldn’t recommend it. Instead, try to resolve the underlying issue (Hardware, PSU, SD and/or RPi itself), or things will get much worse.

Ah I see… It’s just that those things cost money and currently I don’t have the luxury to acquire those if I do troubleshoot the hardware

No worries, know the feeling :slight_smile:

Ok, here is the file contents of /var/lib/dpkg/diversions on RPi 3, fresh install :

/lib/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules
/lib/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules.distrib
:
/usr/share/man/man1/sh.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/sh.distrib.1.gz
dash
/usr/share/man/man1/config_data.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/config_data.diverted.1.gz
libmodule-build-perl
/usr/bin/config_data
/usr/bin/config_data.diverted
libmodule-build-perl
/bin/sh
/bin/sh.distrib
dash

Might also be worth clearing apt cache aswell:

apt-get clean

Thank you! I was about to completely give up on DietPi but once I tried this, everything worked fine! You just made my day, thanks :smiley:

I do understand that I should really not set aside my power problem and I’ll attend to that as soon as I can. For the mean time, I’ll have fun tinkering with DietPi

You just made my day, thanks

No worries, great to hear this is now working for you :slight_smile: