[Testers Wanted] Simple PIA VPN Gateway

is there any chance of incorporating nordvpn. or others?
cheers good work

Are you using it as a gateway or just a client?
I may still do this but I don’t have a lot of free time… I want to get a feel for what most people use it for.

Thank you for doing this. :slight_smile:
It seems to work good and match what the IP should be.

As for use? Mostly to keep prying eyes out of what I do on the web so they can’t sell my data to third parties (a.k.a. ISP).

Same! I’ve Been breaking myself for two days to get PureVPN working as a client… As for me, I’d like a 24-7 RPi2 Torrentbox, running OpenVPN, Deluge, Sonarr & Radarr. Would love to test this.

Nice!!!

Ty for that.
I’ve had some days ago some problems with vpn and a special function.

have a look at that may you integrate in your solution the “port open function” for transmission and other program.
i have market the TCP Packs with a VPN User so that all communication from this user goes through the tunnel and the rest eg. PLEX and others can come out directly.

MichaIng
I will see if I can implement mine for testing into DietPi-NordVPN.

have a nice day

Hi,. Just installed on a fresh dietpi on a pi2. Worked fine,except I had to install pihole as a DNS server. Otherwise I had no DNS responses. I assume I did something wrong…but I have no idea what…

Neilj1983
Hmm which upstream DNS server uses Pi-hole then? The same should work for your system as well.

If you use DHCP for your network connection, then your router serves the DNS entry for the system. That should usually work, however in your case obviously not. If you choose static IP, you can set the DNS entry yourself. Usually using the router itself works best, as most serve as DNS resolver themselves and have a DNS cache as well, but if not, then 8.8.8.8 (Google DNS) is a reliable solution, at least to test general system-wise DNS resolving.

time wget --spider https://dietpi.com can be used to test and compare speeds.

I tried this last night & sadly (out of the box) from a fresh install it didn’t work. I did get it working though :+1:.

With a fresh install the device it was installed on was working & getting its public IP from PIA, it just wasn’t able to route any traffic over the VPN.

I just made sure “sysctl -p” was run on startup & everything is working fine now. This I don’t think is a problem with this script as it does the same when setting up PiVPN/OpenVPN.

This does not work for me.
Installed on a Pine64.

Also I set a static IP 192.168.1.5 before installing the script, after a reboot it reports at startup a IP 192.168.1.144 although I have a SSH session via 192.168.1.5 :thinking:
DietPi IP address.JPG

After I Enable IPv6 in the dietpi-config and re-run the script again it now reports the IP address 192.168.1.5 correctly.
So I guess when you Disable the IPv6 the script does not work correctly !?
DietPi IP address OKAY.JPG
DietPi IPv6 on.JPG

Hi, just a quick question will can this purely be used as a VPN Client. I only want my pi to use the vpn.

Yes a VPN Client so you can setup other computers gateway to point to the Pi IP address.

Does not work, need to update if you ask me.

Open Settings and tap on Wireless Controls.
Tap on VPN Settings.
Tap on Add VPN.
In the VPN Name field, enter Private Internet Access.
For Type, Choose L2TP/IPSec PSK.
In Server address Enter us-california.privateinternetaccess.com.
Leave L2TP Secret and IPSec Identifier blank.
In the IPSec Pre-shared key type: mysafety
Tap Save
Open Settings and tap on Wireless Controls
Tap on Private Internet Access
Enter your Generated Username and Password If you have not generated this yet, please follow the steps here
Check Save account information if you want to save the password
Tap Connect

When I get to the install where it asks to select an endpoint nothing comes up in the list.

odd, I just tried it with a fresh DietPi install and I got the full list.

Could you try running the script again, it’s possible it failed to download the endpoints from the PIA website.

I can’t because it cut off internet access to the vm

I’m fairly certain it won’t have been caused by this script as the only things it will have done up until that point were to install the openvpn client and download a zip file from PIA, all the killswitch functionality is configured last and it does not touch any networking configuration.

I’ve been using this since Aug 2019 & (while the setup didn’t go smoothly for me) now it’s up & running, it’s worked flawlessly ever since.

Thank you for this script - it’s a great help