[Solved] Unable to Upgrade to Stretch on RPi

I’ve gone ahead and changed all the sources.list and files in sources.list.d to stretch, just replacing jessie for the most part.
When I do apt-get update everything runs through fine without any errors.

When I do apt-get upgrade though, it runs through fine mostly until it gets to libc6 and libc-bin. It throws the error:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH contains the traditional /lib directory,
but not the multiarch directory /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf.
It is not safe to upgrade the C library in this situation;
please remove the /lib/directory from LD_LIBRARY_PATH and
try again.

I’ve searched on the net and I may not be understanding 100% but I can find the directory /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf. It’s not a sym link and I see plenty of libs in there. It looks like this is the last thing stopping me from upgrading to stretch.

If the answer is to wipe and stretch with a fresh install, I can do that, I’d just much rather not to since I have a lot running on the RPi.

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this, I’m wide open to suggestions.

OK. Did a lot more digging and found one way to fix it but hopefully I didn’t break anything in the process.

I did

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf

and then ran apt-get -f install and was able to complete it.

Hopefully this’ll help anyone else that is running into the same issue.

I’m in the process of doing the same on an XU4 and came across the same problems and solution.

John

While this did work to get things updated, it did break my Home Assistant setup.

Luckily I backed up with the built in DietPi backup system, so I just reverted.

There are more steps needed on to get the upgrade done properly. Just need to take the time to figure it out.

I’m just about 100% there only problem is Medusa (manually installed) now no longer runs.

As well as the above the install/upgrade asked me to install busybox but other than that it went OK.

John