RPi 3 v157 RT Kernel not updated

On v156 i installed the RT kernel v4.9.44-rt30-v7+ with the command of the changelog of v155:

/DietPi/dietpi/func/dietpi-set_hardware kernel dietpi_rpi_rt

After updating to v157, it’s also update the kernel to a new version 4.9.52 not RT of the Kernel.
So I try to rerun the command to install the RT kernel and it’s revert back to the v4.9.44-rt30-v7+.

1. Is it ok to go back to the previous version of kernel or there may be problems?
  2. Will new versions of the RT kernel be released in the future?

Thanks in advance for any answer

Hi,

RT is currently in testing, we will provide updated version in the future, once we have integrated an option in DietPi, that allows users to select RT/NON-RT kernel.

1 Like

I’m also interested in that feature. Is it available?

you are answering on a 6 year old post. What exactly you are looking for?

BTW: usually we don’t do any own kernel development, except for SOQuartz SBC.

Just what it says: “An option in DietPi that allows users to select RT/NON-RT kernel”, without having to manually build the kernel with RT patches". An RT kernel would be interesting for audio applications.

I guess something not going to happen.

Aside of the Debian kernel for x86_64, none of the kernel package repos we use provides RT kernel packages, so we’d need to do own kernel builds for every SBC, at least every SoC family, which is very much out of our possibilities with current man power, and it is a too rarely requested feature compared to other tasks on our ToDo. So if you need an RT kernel for RPi, you’d need to compile it yourself. Here are the sources: GitHub - raspberrypi/linux: Kernel source tree for Raspberry Pi-provided kernel builds. Issues unrelated to the linux kernel should be posted on the community forum at https://forums.raspberrypi.com/

I just recognised that there are RT kernel branches for 4.19 and 4.14. Probably there were related packages in the past which are the reason for this topic. But those are not present for current Linux versions. I think it is some build flags which make it suitable for RT applications.

1 Like

Thanks Michael.
Do you mean RT capabilities are already built in current kernels?

I don’t think so.

No I mean that probably with recent Linux versions, there are no changes to the Linux source code required anymore to enable RT capabilities, hence no reason to have a dedicated RT source branch. But at least build flags will need to be adjusted to optimise it for RT applications. And the single build/package that is distributed surely does not have them set.