Read/Write access denied with mounted drives?

Cool…so mounting it with the file_mode=0770,dir_mode=0770 sets it for read/write by non-root users?

Glad you guys showed up…I was at a complete loss

1 Like

MichaIng,

You are a super star! Thanks so much!! Worked perfectly. Back to a working setup again :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Also a huge thank you to you WarHawk for your help…

Failing the above, i’ll give you information in regards to setting the run-level user for those applications to root (which will make some “security” aware users cry > :slight_smile:> )

Thanks Fourdee for having the work around on standby!!

It allows r/w access for all users of the dietpi group, which includes all the software run users that we recently switched from root to their own separate ones for security reasons.

To allow r/w for really all users, 0777 modes would be needed, but this would break the security efforts :wink:.

Glad it works now. We will implement this as default for samba mounts via dietpi drive manager.

For those who use NFS mounts:
As long as the nfs servers file system supports permissions, you can apply them as usual via chown/chmod on server and client vice versa. I am going to test how to solve it, if the server does not support permissions.

I’m having the same issue and i have spent 10+hours over the last few days trying to get this sorted.
Had 6.14 everything was working as it should, updated to 6.16 and everything stopped working and i mean EVERYTHING. Dietpi wasn’t even loading after the update. Reinstalled Dietpi onto my Odroid C2, it auto updated to 6.16 and then install all my programs again. Orginally i had plex.cred and this is how my fstab has been and working without issues before update.
#Please use DietPi-Drive_Manager to setup network mounts
//192.168.XX.XXX/video /mnt/samba cifs auto,defaults,nofail,credentials=/etc/plex.cred,uid=plex 0 0
//192.168.XX.XXX/music /mnt/samba_2 cifs auto,defaults,nofail,credentials=/etc/plex.cred,uid=plex 0 0
//192.168.XX.XXX/photo /mnt/samba_3 cifs auto,defaults,nofail,credentials=/etc/plex.cred,uid=plex 0 0

all 3 folders worked with qbittorrent, sonarr and Plex, mounts are on a synology NAS 6.14 i had to create a plex user to get it working. Sonarr and Qbittorrent ran without issue.

Installed 6.16 tried adding a new series then the problems started with Qbit starting D/L and then stopping them or running at 800bps - 1Kbps or not downloading at all and Sonarr would not rename files. Diving deeper it said not access to folder, added download station to the downloads client and ran full speed and downloaded files, however Sonarr couldn’t move them.

I have tried setting up a new sonaar user in Synology Nas and giving it all the permissions the same as Plex but no luck. I have tried new permissions and changing permissions both in webmin and nas and still would not work. Changed folders to windows ACL still not accessed via Dietpi side. Made new folder on the NAS and moved Tv Shows to this new folder and still no go. Changed on dietpi side to dietpi:dietpi 0777,0775,0755 changed to plex:dietpi and still nothing. Also have tried changing the 0770 now on the mounts and nothing is changing anymore, staying at 0777.

Installed Sonarr on synology gave Sonarr sc-nzbdrone permission to the folder and boom everything working again as it should via the NAS side. There is something that has changed in Dietpi that is not working since the change.

I’m lazy and went back to running as root. NFS share doesn’t allow client side uid/gid settings.

In /etc/systemd/system/sonarr.service comment out the User and Group lines:

[Unit]
Description=Sonarr (NzbDrone) Daemon
After=network.target

[Service]
#User=sonarr
#Group=dietpi
Type=simple
ExecStart=/usr/bin/mono -O=-aot /opt/NzbDrone/NzbDrone.exe -nobrowser -data=/mnt/dietpi_userdata/sonarr

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Reload the service settings:

systemctl daemon-reload

Restart the service:

service sonarr restart

Man, thanks so much for this answer this was an issue that I’ve been having for a couple years now and I could never figure it out. Finally saw this and it worked right away.

Merry Christmas!

Great!!!

Can’t wait for the solution for the NFS mount also and finally be able to use my Synology NAS as a persistent NFS storage share for my RPI Docker Swarm !!

Thanks for all the efforts!!!

Hi,

there is no problem to use your Synology as NFS Server together with DietPi. You can mount the NFS share using dietpi-drive_manager

MichaIng

Just a heads up, this seems to have crept in again…

Everytime we have a power cut and the pi boots up again, the mounted smb drives are gone… They have to be re added again…

Can you check journalctl to see where those drives are tried to be mounted at boot, which hopefully shows a related error message?

are the mounts persist an regular reboots?

MichaIng Joulinar - I’m so sorry, I posted this in the wrong topic… :man_facepalming:t3:
What a noob…!!

Was meant to be in Samba Share doesn’t mount after “reboot”.

Will post there now…