ProFTP kiling DietPi

Hi there,

I am having real trouble with DietPi at the moment. I am trying to install the following on a Raspberry Pi 3:

NextCloud
WiringPi
RPiMonitorg
Fail2Ban
ProFTP

NginX default web server

In the last few weeks I have had 5 clean images become non-bootable. My latest try I had al the able installed with the exception of ProFTP and it had been up and running for a week and a half.

Tonight I installed ProFTP, the installation went fine and rebooted. When I went to ssh back in, it kept saying my password was incorrect. (it was not.) I waited 30 minutes in case Fail2Ban had kicked in, but still no luck. I pulled the plug and restarted the Pi, now it no longer boots. the red power light keeps going off anfter about 5 seconds. it appears to get stuck in a continual reboot loop.

I really want to use DietPi since it is the easiest way to get NextCloud on a Pi, but these issues are really getting annoying now.

Any idea on what the issue might be?
Regards,
Keith

Ok, I left the Pi off for a while and have managed to log back in. NextCloud and another website have broken. I fixed my own one by reapplying rot permissions to a couple of files. What are the default permissions for NextCloud please. i think I need to reset them.

Don’t know why ProFTP would interfear with these permissions. Does the dietPi-software try and reset web permissions?

Regards,
Keith

Are you sure your power supply (and cable if using a phone charger) are up to the job? The Pi3 need a decent power supply and file system corruption can occur if it is inadequate. And have you eliminated the SD card as a possible source of the problem?

John

Hi Keith,

Sounds like a few different possible issues.

In the last few weeks I have had 5 clean images become non-bootable.

I believe John may be onto something here. Unstable/insufficient PSU will cause filesystem corruptions to occur.

Tonight I installed ProFTP, the installation went fine and rebooted. When I went to ssh back in, it kept saying my password was incorrect.

I was unable to replicate any issues you experienced in my tests so far.

We’ll need some more information, if you can answer the following questions, i’d be grateful:

• Did you install proftp through dietpi-software or manually via command line?
  • Which SSH client are you running (eg: putty)?
  • Are you running Dropbear or OpenSSH server on DietPi (you can check by running dietpi-software and looking at the SSH server choice thats active)
  • When the failed SSH login occurred, where you able to log into the system locally (eg: keyboard+mouse)?

I pulled the plug and restarted the Pi, now it no longer boots.

Doing this may physically damage the SDcard beyond repair. Its most likely now corrupted, a slow format is recommended (writes/resets/refreshes all cells on the card) if you plan to use this card again.

Thanks John, I thought it was ok, but upon checking it was only a 1.5A supply. I’ve replaced with a 2A supply and will start from scratch.
Regards,
Keith.

Yes I was using a 1.5A supply i have replaced with a 2A supply and will try again from scratch.

We’ll need some more information, if you can answer the following questions, i’d be grateful:

• Did you install proftp through dietpi-software or manually via command line?

I installed through dietpi-software

• Which SSH client are you running (eg: putty)?

OpenSSH_7.2p2 Ubuntu-4ubuntu2.1, OpenSSL 1.0.2g 1 Mar 2016

• Are you running Dropbear or OpenSSH server on DietPi (you can check by running dietpi-software and looking at the SSH server choice thats active)

Dropbear

• When the failed SSH login occurred, where you able to log into the system locally (eg: keyboard+mouse)?

Nope, running headless

I pulled the plug and restarted the Pi, now it no longer boots.

Doing this may physically damage the SDcard beyond repair. Its most likely now corrupted, a slow format is recommended (writes/resets/refreshes all cells on the card) if you plan to use this card again.

I’m trying again from scratch with a 2A power supply and a new SD Card.
Thanks for you help.
Regards,
Keith

I’m trying again from scratch with a 2A power supply and a new SD Card.
Thanks for you help.
Regards,
Keith

Thanks for the info Keith.

Please let us know results when you can :slight_smile:

Yes it is all much more stable now, thanks for your help.