Problem with SDR-Receiver and USB

Hi,
when I plug into any USB-Port my SDR-Receiver the DietPi-Installation (64bit) starts to make problems. I have it installed on a Raspberry 4.

Problem is, that my NVMe SDD at another USB 3.0 Port is not recognized by the OS in a proper way anymore. For example SyncThing doesnt find the SDD from time to time. Or even the DietPi-Drivemanager doesnt start most of the time.

Anyhow the SDR-Receiver and the SDD do not run together.

What can I check? Is there a log to find the error? Or can I install another program for checking? Or must there be a driverfile to install to DietPi OS for the SDR-Receiver? As you can see, I have no idea where to start. Is there a must information which I need to read about Linux/USB?

Thanks you!!

https://www.amazon.de/NooElec-NESDR-Mini-USB-Empfänger-Set-Female-SMA-Adapter/dp/B00VZ1AWQA/ref=sr_1_3?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=1T6UVJWVO1PU7&keywords=Nooelec+R20T2+SDR&qid=1646079667&sprefix=nooelec+r20t2+sdr%2Caps%2C84&sr=8-3

How is your SSd powered? Does it have an own PSU or juts powered by the USB port? You can check for kernel error message as soon as you are facing the issue.

dmesg -l err,crit,alert,emerg

No, my Disk doesn’t have a extra power supply. Shouldn’t the raspberry Deliver enough power for both Devices? My disk is a Samsung PM9A1 SSD PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 - 1TB (BULK). Ok, I will measure both Devices (SDR-Stick and SDD) tonight. What is the max Power of the Rasberry?
Thank you.

I don’t have the exact values. Usually something MichaIng knows. But in general, RPI USB ports are not designed to power attached USB SSD/HDD. We highly recommend to use a dedicated PSU.

As stated before, have a look to kernel error messages if you are facing the issue. There might be a hint on what the challenge could be.

I did make some tests:

Consumption of devices:
SDR-Receiver 106 mA
SDD 250 mA

Total, max ~360 mA

I think 360 mA should be no problem for the raspberry 4 to handle, shouldn`t it? But it does only work with a old USB-Hub between the Raspberry and the SDR-Receiver.

Otherwise I get the error message:

usb usb2-port1: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?

Changing the cable did not solve the problem.

Now I will test it with the USB-Hub for some days. Hope it will work out.

Many thanks to you.

It’s max 1.2A = 6W total shared on all USB ports. Even when on idle the consumption is lower, it may be an issue when being powered on or during usage peaks. It is officially (also from RPi devs side) not intended to run 2.5" drives or larger on RPi USB ports without dedicated PSU.