Problem using Auto Install feature of dietpi.txt

I could assume that it comes from the OPT IN/OUT questionaire.
Besides Joulinars question you could do a try to execute a test with

SURVEY_OPTED_IN=-1

changed to

SURVEY_OPTED_IN=0

resp.

SURVEY_OPTED_IN=1

according to your demands (if we can have a wish: Please set it to 1).

Usually it should opt-out automatically on an interactive install

Here are the requested logs, I renamed them to ‘.txt’ as forum will not let me upload ‘.log’ files:
dietpi-firstboot.txt (7.4 KB)
dietpi-ramlog.txt (227 Bytes)
fs_partition_resize.txt (1.1 KB)

Thanks StephanStS for the suggestion.

I have tried previously with the survery opted in settings set to 1 and think I had the same error.
I will try it again now to just double check that I really did change that option.

*** I just tried with the survey setting set to 1 and the result is the same. Thanks for the suggestion though. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hmm no error inside log. Are you able to connect a screen to your RPI and run a fresh new install? (without headless mode). That might give an indication where the automatic setup stuck.

Attached is a picture of the error displayed on the screen.

did you created a new SD card or was this just booting of the failed one?

I used rufus to burn DietPi image I downloaded this morning and reapplied the dietpi.txt. This time I set the survey opt in to 1 and it does not seem to be causing the problem and I would like that to be set to 1 anyway.

So the card was over written again just prior to taking the screenshot. Maybe it is the changing of the hostname that is causing it? I just have a feeling about this and am guessing but am probably wrong. I am tempted to do it again but this time only change the hostname nothing else.

No this has nothing to do with changing the hostname. Your screenshot is showing an issue with a failed first run setup. But this could not be the case if you created a new fresh image. Are you sure there is no other USB device connected that could contain an image? You are booting of the SD card only?

Yes, just the 64GB SanDisk Ultra Plus SD Card, nothing else is connected to the USB ports currently. Maybe Rufus is not over writting the card correctly even though it says that is has written the image to the card. I will give Etcher a try and report back. Could the SD card be faulty would this cause the issue? Maybe the dietpi.txt file is getting the wrong attributes set once I save it after changing the contents, I am using NotePad++ to edit the file.

no the failed status could not be caused by dietpi.txt. Usually I use Rufus as well without issues. Could you try a different SD card? A USB pen stick would be fine as well.

I just tried writting the SD card with Etcher and I manually edited the dietpi.txt file but after trying to boot I get the same error nothing changed.

I am also adding this command to the bottom of the ‘config.txt’ file as I have a fan ‘dtoverlay=gpio-fan,gpiopin=14,temp=60000’.

can you share the direct link of the image you download? I will try to replicate.

I downloaded the image from the DietPi website here is the direct link:
https://dietpi.com/downloads/images/DietPi_RPi-ARMv8-Bullseye.7z

I think from memory the page layout was a little different when I downloaded it this morning I could be wrong but I thought I just clicked on Raspberry Pi image and then had to choose the appropriate file. Now the Raspberry Pi images seem to be broken down into seperate images for Pi 2, 3 and 4.

Anyway I just downloaded it again from the above link and did a file comparison of the image I got this morning and have been using with the one I downloaded seconds ago using HxD and they match.

Amadjan, I am not sure what you mean. Are you also having issues with the dietpi.txt file or is yours working as intended?

If you like to get support, same more information would be great. What exactly is not working. Some details on your setup like SBC aso.

You are right, the layout was changed today:
https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi-Website/pull/241

Good to know, thought I was going crazy. Well I have been crazy since I was born but still… :grin:

Yes correct, we tried to make it clearer which image to use for which RPI device. There was to many confusions on the different versions. ARMv6/7/8 :smiley:

ok I did a test with my RPi4B and automatic install was working perfectly fine without issues.

1. download image https://dietpi.com/downloads/images/DietPi_RPi-ARMv8-Bullseye.7z
  2. write SD card suing Rufus 3.20 on a Win11 box
  3. adjust three values inside dietpi.txt
AUTO_SETUP_NET_HOSTNAME=DietPi4-demo
AUTO_SETUP_AUTOMATED=1
AUTO_SETUP_GLOBAL_PASSWORD=xxxxxxxxxx
  1. boot RPI4B and watch install process via attached HDMI screen
  2. done
1 Like