NanoPi Neo first boot with wifi

nope with the (NR_4.x)_DietPi_v147_NanoPiNEOAir-armv7-(Jessie).img image on a nanopi neo air, the wifi does not work

I don’t have the “air” version so can’t help you directly.

Do you have the ability to connect to the serial debug port?

What steps have you gone through to get wifi working for first boot? Which files in which directories did you edit on the SD card?

Gordon Williams

Yes, I was able to connect to the debug serial port.
The wifi in the first install was working with the default 3.4.39 kernel distributed along with the nanopi official distribution. To enable it I just had to add the
auto wlan0
wpa_supplicant /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
lines
the module used was the bcmdhd one. With your distribution, the module loaded is the brcmfmac one. With this new module, I don’t see any error messages related to wifi when typing dmesg but the wifi is not working. it says wlan0 unrecongnized wenever I try to enable it with a ifup wlan0 command.

Glad that you have the serial port working.

I didn’t edit the wpa_supplicant.conf file. But before we go there, what does ifconfig and iwconfig say? I have seen wifi named something other than wlan0 before.

What I did was edit the dietpi.txt file in the FAT boot directory to:

1. enable wifi and disable ethernet.
  2. provide your ssid and pw, etc.

on boot that info gets transferred to etc/network/interfaces so it looks something like:

#/etc/network/interfaces
#Please use DietPi-Config to modify network settings.

Local

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

Ethernet

#allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.10
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
#dns-nameservers 192.168.1.1

Wifi

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
address 192.168.0.100
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.1
wireless-essid Williams
wireless-key xxx_my_password
wireless-mode Managed
wireless-power off
wpa-ssid Williams
wpa-psk xxx_my_password
#dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4

One of the things that I find frustrating with Linux is that there is more than one way to do things, each with their own side effects. Some ways are new-experimental, new, legacy and legacy-legacy. It really gets confusing on which way is the “best”.

Anything more than what I’ve shown you is beyond my pay grade and you will need to get help from higher beings.

Good luck!
Gordon

Hi, Armbian 4.10.3 does work for me (on NanoPI NEO) with the Jessie ISO image provided on this thread, GREAT :exclamation:

However, something is missing. Would it be possible to get a kernel upgrade with the patchs provided here https://github.com/lintweaker/xmos-native-dsd ?

These patches update the list of devices who support Native DSD. Then Alsa can retrieve them. I don’t think it is necessary to update Alsa and MPD, while the version provided by DietPi are already DSD enabled (in native mode too, unlike the Kernel).