Kodi Error

Still the same error

dietpi@DietPi:~$ startkodi
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
libva info: VA-API version 1.10.0
libva error: vaGetDriverNameByIndex() failed with unknown libva error, driver_name = (null)

pls can you provide some more information on your system

Required Information

• DietPi version | cat /boot/dietpi/.version
  • Distro version | echo $G_DISTRO_NAME $G_RASPBIAN
  • Kernel version | uname -a
  • SBC model | echo $G_HW_MODEL_NAME or (EG: RPi3)
dietpi@DietPi:~$ cat /boot/dietpi/.version
G_DIETPI_VERSION_CORE=7
G_DIETPI_VERSION_SUB=6
G_DIETPI_VERSION_RC=2
G_GITBRANCH='master'
G_GITOWNER='MichaIng'
G_LIVE_PATCH_STATUS[0]='not applicable'
G_LIVE_PATCH_STATUS[1]='applied'
G_LIVE_PATCH_STATUS[2]='applied'
G_LIVE_PATCH_STATUS[3]='applied'
G_LIVE_PATCH_STATUS[4]='not applicable'

dietpi@DietPi:~$ echo $G_DISTRO_NAME $G_RASPBIAN
bullseye 1

dietpi@DietPi:~$ uname -a
Linux DietPi 5.10.63-v7l+ #1457 SMP Tue Sep 28 11:26:14 BST 2021 armv7l GNU/Linux

Running on a RPI4. I manually upgraded from DietPi Buster to Bullseye following the blog entry.

Can you please try to reinstall Kodi, to assure that also the fKMS driver is used etc:

dietpi-software reinstall 31
reboot

I also see the libva error, but Kodi starts fine despite this.

Still nothing. The Kodi is running (both in ps x) and it makes its startup sound, but nothing on the screen. I have set DietPi to autostart directly to Kodi (user dietpi) from dietpi-config, however it is just showing the terminal with the libra error. Could it be needed to run through a DE?

I will try a fresh install on a new card tomorrow. Was hoping to avoid it through upgrading instead, and so far everything else is working fine.

could you try using user root to start kodi on autostart.

Like if it was running on a different screen :thinking:.

Hello,

This is a guess on my part but could the problem they are having be something to do with the Pi4 having two HDMI outputs? I ask this only because on my Pi3 I did a complete fresh install for Bullseye including installing Kodi and I get the same error but Kodi does load and displays its user interface on the TV.

I am having my own problem though of not being able to navigate using my TV controller anymore since the fresh install of Bullseye and Kodi. This is probably down to something I am doing wrong like a setting that needs changing but at the moment I am lost on how to fix this.

Thank you for DietPi I have been using it for a few years now on a Pi3 and Pi4 it is my goto.

ISquishWorms

Indeed this seems to be the issue, same as here: https://dietpi.com/forum/t/rpi-4-8gb-cant-start-kodi/5729/18

Probably for some reason the second unused screen/HDMI port is used when starting Kodi via GBM from console. Probably it works when actively disabling the second HDMI port, or there is another way to force it using the 1st/foreground screen/port, despite a second one is available.

Good evening. I took some of the ideas for a spin:

• Installed DietPI ARM64 on a new card. Kodi Autostart works fine but only as root. If I remember correctly it says something like /dev/tty0 permission denied during xinit() for dietpi user.
  • I also did not get CEC-Module (TV remote to control Kodi) working. Historically, such issues have been resolved by unplugging pi & TV for 10 minutes. Did not get the chance to test myself but suggest to the user above who had the same issue.

Back to ARMv7 (Dietpi 32bit):

• Tried running Kodi from autostart as root on arm32. Still the same problem.
  • Tried starting up as normal, and then switch the HDMI cable to port 2 when the Libva message occur. Nothing on the TV.
  • Tried vcgenmod display_power 0 7. from terminal and restart Kodi. Same issue.
  • Tried hdmi_ignore_hotplug:1=0 and hdmi_force_hotplug:0=1 in /boot/config.txt. Same issue.

While it has been an unsuccessful day, it is good to see it nothing wrong with my particular dietpi installation as other are experiencing the same problem.

A bit on the side. Is It worth changing to the ARM64 image for my RPI4 4GB? I did a extensive backup this morning in case it was my DietPi it was something wrong with, and it appeals to make the shift now when everything is ready and setup.

usually there is no real benefit of 64bit over 32bit.

Good evening,

Just for clarification although I have a Pi3 and a Pi4 I am running Kodi on the Pi3. I have not tried running Kodi on my Pi4 although if it helps for testing I can because I backed it up only this morning and wiped the SD card for a fresh install of Bullseye. I decided to take the fresh install approach and reconfig/restore files manually rather than try and update to Bullseye.

So on my Pi3 (which I also wiped and installed Bullseye) I do get an error message when loading Kodi but its interface is displayed on the TV. I have not yet tried to play any video yet as I am unable to get the TV controller to work with Kodi, this was working prior to installing Bullseye.

Exatic Thanks for the tip about unplugging the pi & TV for 10 minutes I will give this a try. It is probably just some setting I have set wrong but you never know it is worth a go. As for switching to 64bit, personally on my Pi4 (8 gig) I am taking the advice of DietPi support (Joulinar) along with MichaIng and sticking with 32bit at least until there is a stable final release of Raspberry Pi OS.

ISquishWorms.

Same error here. I did a fresh install.

• RPI 4 (8GB)
  • ARMv7 32-bit image (bullseye)

I tried a fresh install using ARMv8 64-bit image and Kodi worked. However, CEC doesn’t work and we know 32-bit is more stable.

I have been using DietPi arm7 (buster) for a year and I have zero problems. I decided to upgrade to the bullseye, and I can’t run Kodi anymore. Feeling that regret… :cry:

it doesn’t make sense to post the same into 2 different topics, even if we have multiple of them open.

Hello I cant get Kodi working. I installed it via the dietpi-config script and when I try to launch it it just says “error: unable to create GUI”

I am running a fresh install of dietpi on a raspberry pi4, connected to hdmi 1 (if I plug into hdmi0 I dont see a picture at all)

I ran commands like I saw earlier in this thread to get some info. This is all off a fresh install. If Kodi doesnt work from a fresh install I guess I will have to leave dietpi as I am trying to setup a kodi box

root@DietPi:~# kodi
ERROR: Unable to create GUI. Exiting
root@DietPi:~# apt policy kodi
kodi:
  Installed: 3:19.1-dietpi3
  Candidate: 3:19.1-dietpi3
  Version table:
 *** 3:19.1-dietpi3 100
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     2:19.3-1~bullseye 500
        500 https://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian bullseye/main armhf Packages
root@DietPi:~# apt policy kodi-bin
kodi-bin:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 2:19.3-1~bullseye
  Version table:
     2:19.3-1~bullseye 500
        500 https://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian bullseye/main armhf Packages
root@DietPi:~# startkodi
ERROR: Unable to create GUI. Exiting
root@DietPi:~#

Hi,

you could try following

/boot/dietpi/func/dietpi-set_hardware rpi-opengl vc4-fkms-v3d
reboot

and afterwards

echo 'deb https://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/ bullseye main untested' > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/raspi.list
apt update
apt install --reinstall --allow-downgrades kodi

The “untested” repository is not required anymore as the build has been moved to the regular RPi repository now. Als full KMS “vc4-kms-v3d” should be working and recommended now.

Please try it with the DietPi v7.9 beta: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/5019
It installs the new RPi Kodi build on all architectures, enables full KMS and 4k support on RPi 4 (increased CMA size). So after applying the beta, you can reinstall Kodi to apply the new one:

dietpi-software reinstall 31

The “unable to create GUI” e.g. shows up when the same screen is already used by another application. E.g. our build could not start from desktop for this reason. The RPi Kodi build works around this by switching to a different display/TTY.

Similar problem here: I wanted to install kodi on my RP 4b/Waveshare DSI 5" display with DietPi 8.8. The first setup steps are allright, then I install kodi via dietpi-software and set it to autolaunch as user root. However, on rebooting I get the error as above: Unable to create GUI. Exiting.
The display is working, the CLI is displayed and the correct resolution (800x480) is entered via dietpi-config.

Anything else I could try?

did you already tried to switch between vc4-fkms-v3d and vc4-kms-v3d?

/boot/dietpi/func/dietpi-set_hardware rpi-opengl vc4-fkms-v3d
reboot

or

/boot/dietpi/func/dietpi-set_hardware rpi-opengl vc4-kms-v3d
reboot
1 Like

Yes, after rebooting three times while changing the video mode it finally worked and kodi started in the touchscreen. Thanks!