Kernel Panic on v108 Jessie after start install

Hi,

First of all, Wheezy v108 works without issues, the issue below is when switching to a fresh Jessie install.
I have an official 2A PSU and a Kingston 16GB microSDHC (UHS-I - UHS Class 1 / Class10).

I’ve done everything below 3 times at least (see variations):

• Use SDFormatter to format 16gb SD card
  • Write DietPi v106 Jessie with win32diskimager
  • Boot Pi 2 with sd card and lan connected (static lease defined in router)
  • Ssh to and login with root - no issue
  • Let DietPi update to v108, including reboot - no issue
  • Ssh to and login with root - no issue → First install menu is shown
  • Tried 3 variations:
  • Use usb drive, change locale, timezone, root password and hostname, use openssh for ssh, use samba as fileserver
    • Don’t use usb drive, change locale, timezone, root password and hostname, use openssh for ssh, use samba as fileserver
    • Don’t use usb drive, Don’t change any settings
  • Hit start install → Apt-get update / upgrade runs
  • DietPi reboots → Kernel Panic

Any ideas?

Hi Mattie,

Kernel panics (especially on the RPi, which is extremely stable) is mainly caused by a hardware issue. This could include:

• PSU
  • SD card
  • Unstable Overclocking

As for why Jessie is only causing the issues, its not possible, unless RPi Jessie repo has released a faulty kernel update in apt-get upgrade.

As you have no overclocking and the official RPI PSU (which we assume is working stable). It can only be the SD card at fault.

Try the following to write zeros on the SD card.
I’ve done this a few times with unstable cards and it has resolved. Its basically rewriting every cell to 0.

Once completed, rewrite the DietPi image and try again. If the issue continues, I can only suggest you try an alternative SD card. Sandisk Ultra for budget or Sandisk Extreme for performance (which i use daily in DietPi testing)
Untitled.png

Yes, I know about that option. I actually did that the first time I switched from wheezy to jessie.

I tried it again though, just to be sure, and It’s the same result. No issues until I choose “Start install”.

I almost always use the pi headless, and one thing I did notice is that when using a monitor instead of ssh, I can see I never get the login prompt. It is stuck with a blinking cursor like so:

---------------------------------------
 DietPi | 08:38 | Sat 06/02/16
 V108 | Raspberry Pi 2 Model B

Default Login:
 Username = root
 Password = dietpi

_

I can ssh in and login without issues, so I never saw that before. I did see the login prompt when using wheezy.
Could it be related?

(Also, the “Notify me when a reply is posted” doesnt seem to work on the forums)

Hi Mattie,

Would you be able to record a video of the installation process and when the issue occurs?

I can see I never get the login prompt

The DietPi login banner is launched from /etc/rc.local. On Jessie (systemd) we need to launch it as idle which ensures its the last service to start, however, it will overwrite any current text print on the screen. This is what you are seeing.
On wheezy (sysvinit), the very last service (/etc/rc.local) is processed before the login prompt.
Its only a “visual” issue which cant be solved with SystemD.

(Also, the “Notify me when a reply is posted” doesnt seem to work on the forums)

Yep its broken :frowning:. Haven’t had the time to fix it.

I used another SD card, and now I’m able to get past the install part.
It is odd, as I’ve done some exstensive write/read tests on the orignal SD card, and it keeps coming up with no errors…
I guess I’ll move my mysql db to the usb hdd and keep the 8GB instead of 16GB card…

Thnx for your suggestions