Is it possible to use php7.4 / php8?

Hello DietPi Community

i have a question that i am not sure is a stupid one or not. And i’m not a native english speaker, so please forgive any mistakes i make.
First i would like to tell you why i use DietPi. I chose DietPi to run on my RockPi Board to have a solid and easy-to-maintain private Cloud-Server running Nextcloud, XMPP and Wordpress. It is running very, very well. Thank you so much. Tanks to DietPi i now have a much better understanding of how Linux works, too.
A few days ago Nextcloud proposed updating to v23; It also told me with the upgrade NC will need at least php7.4 and won’t work with 7.3 anymore. I know that atm DietPi runs with php7.3; So now i am wondering, if the Pi will run with php8 also or if the php version is hardcoded? Can i just install php7.4 or, even better, php8 or can i use both php versions side by side?

Thanks for any help
level

Welcome to our community.

Basically the PHP version is depending on the Debian version used. In your case it looks like Buster. Can you check?

echo $G_DISTRO_NAME

To go to PHP7.4, you could/need to upgrade to Debian Bullseye. For this, just have a look into our upgrade guide

1 Like

Thanks very much :slight_smile:
You’re right, i’m running buster. If i need bullseye i have to check with someone else first, there is a script that doesn’t like bullseye but is needed by the server… so, thank you very much for now. If i know more about the script i am going to follow the upgrade tutorial you mentioned.
Have a nice day :slight_smile: