Help in configuration my K3s cluster with Nanopi Fire 3

I am trying to build a 4 x nanopi fire 3 cluster and trying what I can do with it.
The dietpi image is really a saver for me as it greatly simplified the works I need to do, from setting up the network to getting the software and clone of images for the SBCs in the clusters.
However, I am really frustrated for getting the K3s to work.

I got 4 nanopi fire 3 SBCs. They are based on oct-cores s5p6818, which I know is obsaleted with kernel at 4.x and no vendor support, but the benchmark in Dietpi is actually decent.

I follow the Dietpi Doc for the software and this thread. After installing Dietpi in the first board as host, I clone the image to the other 3 board WITHOUT installing K3s.

Then I set up their network through dietpi-config, and hostnames.
Next I set up the K3s with server and agent type set in /boot/dietpi.txt

I copy the yaml files from server node to agent nodes, get the token from server node and then execute k3s agent --server ${K3S_URL} --token ${K3S_TOKEN} at each of the agent nodes, all bounced back with an error showing :-

Incorrect Usage: flag provided but not defined: -apiVersion

NAME:
   k3s agent - Run node agent

USAGE:
   k3s agent [OPTIONS]

OPTIONS:
   --config FILE, -c FILE                     (config) Load configuration from FILE (default: "/etc/rancher/k3s/config.yaml") [$K3S_CONFIG_FILE]
   --debug                                    (logging) Turn on debug logs [$K3S_DEBUG]
   -v value                                   (logging) Number for the log level verbosity (default: 0)
   --vmodule value                            (logging) Comma-separated list of FILE_PATTERN=LOG_LEVEL settings for file-filtered logging
   --log value, -l value                      (logging) Log to file
   --alsologtostderr                          (logging) Log to standard error as well as file (if set)
   --token value, -t value                    (cluster) Token to use for authentication [$K3S_TOKEN]
   --token-file value                         (cluster) Token file to use for authentication [$K3S_TOKEN_FILE]
   --server value, -s value                   (cluster) Server to connect to [$K3S_URL]
   --data-dir value, -d value                 (agent/data) Folder to hold state (default: "/var/lib/rancher/k3s")
   --node-name value                          (agent/node) Node name [$K3S_NODE_NAME]
   --with-node-id                             (agent/node) Append id to node name
   --node-label value                         (agent/node) Registering and starting kubelet with set of labels
   --node-taint value                         (agent/node) Registering kubelet with set of taints
   --image-credential-provider-bin-dir value  (agent/node) The path to the directory where credential provider plugin binaries are located (default: "/var/lib/rancher/credentialprovider/bin")
   --image-credential-provider-config value   (agent/node) The path to the credential provider plugin config file (default: "/var/lib/rancher/credentialprovider/config.yaml")
   --selinux                                  (agent/node) Enable SELinux in containerd [$K3S_SELINUX]
   --lb-server-port value                     (agent/node) Local port for supervisor client load-balancer. If the supervisor and apiserver are not colocated an additional port 1 less than this port will also be used for the apiserver client load-balancer. (default: 6444) [$K3S_LB_SERVER_PORT]
   --protect-kernel-defaults                  (agent/node) Kernel tuning behavior. If set, error if kernel tunables are different than kubelet defaults.
   --container-runtime-endpoint value         (agent/runtime) Disable embedded containerd and use the CRI socket at the given path; when used with --docker this sets the docker socket path
   --default-runtime value                    (agent/runtime) Set the default runtime in containerd
   --image-service-endpoint value             (agent/runtime) Disable embedded containerd image service and use remote image service socket at the given path. If not specified, defaults to --container-runtime-endpoint.
   --pause-image value                        (agent/runtime) Customized pause image for containerd or docker sandbox (default: "rancher/mirrored-pause:3.6")
   --snapshotter value                        (agent/runtime) Override default containerd snapshotter (default: "overlayfs")
   --private-registry value                   (agent/runtime) Private registry configuration file (default: "/etc/rancher/k3s/registries.yaml")
   --disable-default-registry-endpoint        (agent/containerd) Disables containerd's fallback default registry endpoint when a mirror is configured for that registry
   --node-ip value, -i value                  (agent/networking) IPv4/IPv6 addresses to advertise for node
   --node-external-ip value                   (agent/networking) IPv4/IPv6 external IP addresses to advertise for node
   --resolv-conf value                        (agent/networking) Kubelet resolv.conf file [$K3S_RESOLV_CONF]
   --flannel-iface value                      (agent/networking) Override default flannel interface
   --flannel-conf value                       (agent/networking) Override default flannel config file
   --flannel-cni-conf value                   (agent/networking) Override default flannel cni config file
   --kubelet-arg value                        (agent/flags) Customized flag for kubelet process
   --kube-proxy-arg value                     (agent/flags) Customized flag for kube-proxy process
   --rootless                                 (experimental) Run rootless
   --prefer-bundled-bin                       (experimental) Prefer bundled userspace binaries over host binaries
   --docker                                   (agent/runtime) (experimental) Use cri-dockerd instead of containerd
   --vpn-auth value                           (agent/networking) (experimental) Credentials for the VPN provider. It must include the provider name and join key in the format name=<vpn-provider>,joinKey=<key>[,controlServerURL=<url>][,extraArgs=<args>] [$K3S_VPN_AUTH]
   --vpn-auth-file value                      (agent/networking) (experimental) File containing credentials for the VPN provider. It must include the provider name and join key in the format name=<vpn-provider>,joinKey=<key>[,controlServerURL=<url>][,extraArgs=<args>] [$K3S_VPN_AUTH_FILE]
   --disable-apiserver-lb                     (agent/networking) (experimental) Disable the agent's client-side load-balancer and connect directly to the configured server address

FATA[0000] flag provided but not defined: -apiVersion

It seems -apiVersion is from the k3s.yaml / config.yaml but it is not defined?

I hope you could shade some light on where should I investigate since googling yeild no result for my error :frowning:

Is there anything I’ve missed apart from the doc on dietpi and the command from the thread?
I am newbie for K3s so any help is really appreciated!

Vasco

Can you share you config file please.

yes sure, the config file is as below

root@DietN3N1:/etc/rancher/k3s# cat config.yaml
apiVersion: v1
clusters:
- cluster:
    certificate-authority-data: [the key]
    server: https://192.168.1.122:6443
  name: default
contexts:
- context:
    cluster: default
    user: default
  name: default
current-context: default
kind: Config
preferences: {}
users:
- name: default
  user:
    client-certificate-data: [the cert]
    client-key-data: [the key]

hope you could take a look at this.

Hm to be honest I have no idea, looks like the example configs from k3s docs.
Maybe you can ask here:
https://github.com/k3s-io/k3s/issues

Thanks for your help Jappe.

I’ve figured out the problem was with the config file I’ve used in my agent nodes.
Insteads of copying the server config files (k3s.yaml) to the agent nodes, I had actually created the agent config file manually, which is much simpler.

For example, the current config file I use is

server: "https://host_ip:6443"
token: <node_token>

then they were now able to get into the k3s node. :slightly_smiling_face:

however, there is problem with “crash loop back off” :melting_face:

root@DietN3H:~# kubectl get pods -A
NAMESPACE     NAME                                      READY   STATUS             RESTARTS           AGE
kube-system   coredns-6799fbcd5-c9g62                   0/1     Running            42 (31h ago)       10d
kube-system   local-path-provisioner-6c86858495-9m6qz   0/1     CrashLoopBackOff   2306 (5m58s ago)   10d
kube-system   metrics-server-67c658944b-4kv4g           0/1     CrashLoopBackOff   2288 (5m35s ago)   

Do you have any clue for this?

I have to admit I have no expecience with K3s at all. But we can have a look into logs to get probably more info. Run following commands:

journalctl -u k3s
kubectl logs local-path-provisioner-6c86858495-9m6qz -n kube-system --previous
kubectl describe pod local-path-provisioner-6c86858495-9m6qz -n kube-system
kubectl logs metrics-server-67c658944b-4kv4g -n kube-system --previous
kubectl describe pod metrics-server-67c658944b-4kv4g -n kube-system

Thanks for the quick reply.
Please find the log as below.

root@DietN3H:~# kubectl logs local-path-provisioner-6c86858495-9m6qz -n kube-system --previous
unable to retriekubectl describe pod local-path-provisioner-6c86858495-9m6qz -n kube-system83629d17f339c417754cf56f
root@DietN3H:~# kubectl describe pod local-path-provisioner-6c86858495-9m6qz -n kube-system
Name:                 local-path-provisioner-6c86858495-9m6qz
Namespace:            kube-system
Priority:             2000001000
Priority Class Name:  system-node-critical
Service Account:      local-path-provisioner-service-account
Node:                 dietn3h/192.168.1.122
Start Time:           Wed, 13 Mar 2024 18:12:13 +0800
Labels:               app=local-path-provisioner
                      pod-template-hash=6c86858495
Annotations:          <none>
IP:                   10.42.0.30
IPs:
  IP:           10.42.0.30
Controlled By:  ReplicaSet/local-path-provisioner-6c86858495
Containers:
  local-path-provisioner:
    Container ID:  containerd://a0c53c14bcab80fd4d27124a2c82f36a1af3aed8996dce129ba0e78fb247c791
    Image:         rancher/local-path-provisioner:v0.0.26
    Image ID:      docker.io/rancher/local-path-provisioner@sha256:aee53cadc62bd023911e7f077877d047c5b3c269f9bba25724d558654f43cea0
    Port:          <none>
    Host Port:     <none>
    Command:
      local-path-provisioner
      start
      --config
      /etc/config/config.json
    State:          Waiting
      Reason:       CrashLoopBackOff
    Last State:     Terminated
      Reason:       Error
      Exit Code:    1
      Started:      Mon, 25 Mar 2024 02:51:30 +0800
      Finished:     Mon, 25 Mar 2024 02:52:03 +0800
    Ready:          False
    Restart Count:  2559
    Environment:
      POD_NAMESPACE:  kube-system (v1:metadata.namespace)
    Mounts:
      /etc/config/ from config-volume (rw)
      /var/run/secrets/kubernetes.io/serviceaccount from kube-api-access-n4pqp (ro)
Conditions:
  Type              Status
  Initialized       True
  Ready             False
  ContainersReady   False
  PodScheduled      True
Volumes:
  config-volume:
    Type:      ConfigMap (a volume populated by a ConfigMap)
    Name:      local-path-config
    Optional:  false
  kube-api-access-n4pqp:
    Type:                    Projected (a volume that contains injected data from multiple sources)
    TokenExpirationSeconds:  3607
    ConfigMapName:           kube-root-ca.crt
    ConfigMapOptional:       <nil>
    DownwardAPI:             true
QoS Class:                   BestEffort
Node-Selectors:              <none>
Tolerations:                 CriticalAddonsOnly op=Exists
                             node-role.kubernetes.io/control-plane:NoSchedule op=Exists
                             node-role.kubernetes.io/master:NoSchedule op=Exists
                             node.kubernetes.io/not-ready:NoExecute op=Exists for 300s
                             node.kubernetes.io/unreachable:NoExecute op=Exists for 300s
Events:
  Type     Reason   Age                   From     Message
  ----     ------   ----                  ----     -------
  Warning  BackOff  78s (x5972 over 24h)  kubelet  Back-off restarting failed container local-path-provisioner in pod local-path-provisioner-6c86858495-9m6qz_kube-system(25c34419-a8d5-4be8-81ef-6b1086538ce1)

root@DietN3H:~# kubectl logs metrics-server-67c658944b-4kv4g -n kube-system --previous
Error: unable to load configmap based request-header-client-ca-file: Get "https://10.43.0.1:443/api/v1/namespaces/kube-system/configmaps/extension-apiserver-authentication": dial tcp 10.43.0.1:443: i/o timeout
Usage:
   [flags]

Metrics server flags:

--kubeconfig string            The path to the kubeconfig used to connect to the Kubernetes API server and the Kubelets (defaults to in-cluster config)
      --metric-resolution duration   The resolution at which metrics-server will retain metrics, must set value at least 10s. (default 1m0s)
      --version                      Show version

Kubelet client flags:

--deprecated-kubelet-completely-insecure    DEPRECATED: Do not use any encryption, authorization, or authentication when communicating with the Kubelet. This is rarely the right option, since it leaves kubelet communication completely insecure.  If you encounter auth errors, make sure you've enabled token webhook auth on the Kubelet, and if you're in a test cluster with self-signed Kubelet certificates, consider using kubelet-insecure-tls instead.
      --kubelet-certificate-authority string      Path to the CA to use to validate the Kubelet's serving certificates.
      --kubelet-client-certificate string         Path to a client cert file for TLS.
      --kubelet-client-key string                 Path to a client key file for TLS.
      --kubelet-insecure-tls                      Do not verify CA of serving certificates presented by Kubelets.  For testing purposes only.
      --kubelet-port int                          The port to use to connect to Kubelets. (default 10250)
      --kubelet-preferred-address-types strings   The priority of node address types to use when determining which address to use to connect to a particular node (default [Hostname,InternalDNS,InternalIP,ExternalDNS,ExternalIP])
      --kubelet-use-node-status-port              Use the port in the node status. Takes precedence over --kubelet-port flag.

Apiserver secure serving flags:

--bind-address ip                        The IP address on which to listen for the --secure-port port. The associated interface(s) must be reachable by the rest of the cluster, and by CLI/web clients. If blank or an unspecified address (0.0.0.0 or ::), all interfaces will be used. (default 0.0.0.0)
      --cert-dir string                        The directory where the TLS certs are located. If --tls-cert-file and --tls-private-key-file are provided, this flag will be ignored. (default "apiserver.local.config/certificates")
      --http2-max-streams-per-connection int   The limit that the server gives to clients for the maximum number of streams in an HTTP/2 connection. Zero means to use golang's default.
      --permit-address-sharing                 If true, SO_REUSEADDR will be used when binding the port. This allows binding to wildcard IPs like 0.0.0.0 and specific IPs in parallel, and it avoids waiting for the kernel to release sockets in TIME_WAIT state. [default=false]
      --permit-port-sharing                    If true, SO_REUSEPORT will be used when binding the port, which allows more than one instance to bind on the same address and port. [default=false]
      --secure-port int                        The port on which to serve HTTPS with authentication and authorization. If 0, don't serve HTTPS at all. (default 443)
      --tls-cert-file string                   File containing the default x509 Certificate for HTTPS. (CA cert, if any, concatenated after server cert). If HTTPS serving is enabled, and --tls-cert-file and --tls-private-key-file are not provided, a self-signed certificate and key are generated for the public address and saved to the directory specified by --cert-dir.
      --tls-cipher-suites strings              Comma-separated list of cipher suites for the server. If omitted, the default Go cipher suites will be used.
                                               Preferred values: TLS_AES_128_GCM_SHA256, TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384, TLS_CHACHA20_POLY1305_SHA256, TLS_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA, TLS_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256, TLS_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA, TLS_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384, TLS_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_CHACHA20_POLY1305, TLS_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_CHACHA20_POLY1305_SHA256, TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA, TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256, TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA, TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384, TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_CHACHA20_POLY1305, TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_CHACHA20_POLY1305_SHA256, TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA, TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256, TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA, TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384.
                                               Insecure values: TLS_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA256, TLS_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_RC4_128_SHA, TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA, TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA256, TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_RC4_128_SHA, TLS_RSA_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA, TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA256, TLS_RSA_WITH_RC4_128_SHA.
      --tls-min-version string                 Minimum TLS version supported. Possible values: VersionTLS10, VersionTLS11, VersionTLS12, VersionTLS13
      --tls-private-key-file string            File containing the default x509 private key matching --tls-cert-file.
      --tls-sni-cert-key namedCertKey          A pair of x509 certificate and private key file paths, optionally suffixed with a list of domain patterns which are fully qualified domain names, possibly with prefixed wildcard segments. The domain patterns also allow IP addresses, but IPs should only be used if the apiserver has visibility to the IP address requested by a client. If no domain patterns are provided, the names of the certificate are extracted. Non-wildcard matches trump over wildcard matches, explicit domain patterns trump over extracted names. For multiple key/certificate pairs, use the --tls-sni-cert-key multiple times. Examples: "example.crt,example.key" or "foo.crt,foo.key:*.foo.com,foo.com". (default [])

Apiserver authentication flags:

--authentication-kubeconfig string                  kubeconfig file pointing at the 'core' kubernetes server with enough rights to create tokenreviews.authentication.k8s.io.
      --authentication-skip-lookup                        If false, the authentication-kubeconfig will be used to lookup missing authentication configuration from the cluster.
      --authentication-token-webhook-cache-ttl duration   The duration to cache responses from the webhook token authenticator. (default 10s)
      --authentication-tolerate-lookup-failure            If true, failures to look up missing authentication configuration from the cluster are not considered fatal. Note that this can result in authentication that treats all requests as anonymous.
      --client-ca-file string                             If set, any request presenting a client certificate signed by one of the authorities in the client-ca-file is authenticated with an identity corresponding to the CommonName of the client certificate.
      --requestheader-allowed-names strings               List of client certificate common names to allow to provide usernames in headers specified by --requestheader-username-headers. If empty, any client certificate validated by the authorities in --requestheader-client-ca-file is allowed.
      --requestheader-client-ca-file string               Root certificate bundle to use to verify client certificates on incoming requests before trusting usernames in headers specified by --requestheader-username-headers. WARNING: generally do not depend on authorization being already done for incoming requests.
      --requestheader-extra-headers-prefix strings        List of request header prefixes to inspect. X-Remote-Extra- is suggested. (default [x-remote-extra-])
      --requestheader-group-headers strings               List of request headers to inspect for groups. X-Remote-Group is suggested. (default [x-remote-group])
      --requestheader-username-headers strings            List of request headers to inspect for usernames. X-Remote-User is common. (default [x-remote-user])

Apiserver authorization flags:

--authorization-always-allow-paths strings                A list of HTTP paths to skip during authorization, i.e. these are authorized without contacting the 'core' kubernetes server. (default [/healthz,/readyz,/livez])
      --authorization-kubeconfig string                         kubeconfig file pointing at the 'core' kubernetes server with enough rights to create subjectaccessreviews.authorization.k8s.io.
      --authorization-webhook-cache-authorized-ttl duration     The duration to cache 'authorized' responses from the webhook authorizer. (default 10s)
      --authorization-webhook-cache-unauthorized-ttl duration   The duration to cache 'unauthorized' responses from the webhook authorizer. (default 10s)

Apiserver audit log flags:

--audit-log-batch-buffer-size int             The size of the buffer to store events before batching and writing. Only used in batch mode. (default 10000)
      --audit-log-batch-max-size int                The maximum size of a batch. Only used in batch mode. (default 1)
      --audit-log-batch-max-wait duration           The amount of time to wait before force writing the batch that hadn't reached the max size. Only used in batch mode.
      --audit-log-batch-throttle-burst int          Maximum number of requests sent at the same moment if ThrottleQPS was not utilized before. Only used in batch mode.
      --audit-log-batch-throttle-enable             Whether batching throttling is enabled. Only used in batch mode.
      --audit-log-batch-throttle-qps float32        Maximum average number of batches per second. Only used in batch mode.
      --audit-log-compress                          If set, the rotated log files will be compressed using gzip.
      --audit-log-format string                     Format of saved audits. "legacy" indicates 1-line text format for each event. "json" indicates structured json format. Known formats are legacy,json. (default "json")
      --audit-log-maxage int                        The maximum number of days to retain old audit log files based on the timestamp encoded in their filename.
      --audit-log-maxbackup int                     The maximum number of old audit log files to retain. Setting a value of 0 will mean there's no restriction on the number of files.
      --audit-log-maxsize int                       The maximum size in megabytes of the audit log file before it gets rotated.
      --audit-log-mode string                       Strategy for sending audit events. Blocking indicates sending events should block server responses. Batch causes the backend to buffer and write events asynchronously. Known modes are batch,blocking,blocking-strict. (default "blocking")
      --audit-log-path string                       If set, all requests coming to the apiserver will be logged to this file.  '-' means standard out.
      --audit-log-truncate-enabled                  Whether event and batch truncating is enabled.
      --audit-log-truncate-max-batch-size int       Maximum size of the batch sent to the underlying backend. Actual serialized size can be several hundreds of bytes greater. If a batch exceeds this limit, it is split into several batches of smaller size. (default 10485760)
      --audit-log-truncate-max-event-size int       Maximum size of the audit event sent to the underlying backend. If the size of an event is greater than this number, first request and response are removed, and if this doesn't reduce the size enough, event is discarded. (default 102400)
      --audit-log-version string                    API group and version used for serializing audit events written to log. (default "audit.k8s.io/v1")
      --audit-policy-file string                    Path to the file that defines the audit policy configuration.
      --audit-webhook-batch-buffer-size int         The size of the buffer to store events before batching and writing. Only used in batch mode. (default 10000)
      --audit-webhook-batch-max-size int            The maximum size of a batch. Only used in batch mode. (default 400)
      --audit-webhook-batch-max-wait duration       The amount of time to wait before force writing the batch that hadn't reached the max size. Only used in batch mode. (default 30s)
      --audit-webhook-batch-throttle-burst int      Maximum number of requests sent at the same moment if ThrottleQPS was not utilized before. Only used in batch mode. (default 15)
      --audit-webhook-batch-throttle-enable         Whether batching throttling is enabled. Only used in batch mode. (default true)
      --audit-webhook-batch-throttle-qps float32    Maximum average number of batches per second. Only used in batch mode. (default 10)
      --audit-webhook-config-file string            Path to a kubeconfig formatted file that defines the audit webhook configuration.
      --audit-webhook-initial-backoff duration      The amount of time to wait before retrying the first failed request. (default 10s)
      --audit-webhook-mode string                   Strategy for sending audit events. Blocking indicates sending events should block server responses. Batch causes the backend to buffer and write events asynchronously. Known modes are batch,blocking,blocking-strict. (default "batch")
      --audit-webhook-truncate-enabled              Whether event and batch truncating is enabled.
      --audit-webhook-truncate-max-batch-size int   Maximum size of the batch sent to the underlying backend. Actual serialized size can be several hundreds of bytes greater. If a batch exceeds this limit, it is split into several batches of smaller size. (default 10485760)
      --audit-webhook-truncate-max-event-size int   Maximum size of the audit event sent to the underlying backend. If the size of an event is greater than this number, first request and response are removed, and if this doesn't reduce the size enough, event is discarded. (default 102400)
      --audit-webhook-version string                API group and version used for serializing audit events written to webhook. (default "audit.k8s.io/v1")

Features flags:

--contention-profiling   Enable lock contention profiling, if profiling is enabled
      --profiling              Enable profiling via web interface host:port/debug/pprof/ (default true)

Logging flags:

--add_dir_header                   If true, adds the file directory to the header of the log messages (DEPRECATED: will be removed in a future release, see https://github.com/kubernetes/enhancements/tree/master/keps/sig-instrumentation/2845-deprecate-klog-specific-flags-in-k8s-components)
      --alsologtostderr                  log to standard error as well as files (DEPRECATED: will be removed in a future release, see https://github.com/kubernetes/enhancements/tree/master/keps/sig-instrumentation/2845-deprecate-klog-specific-flags-in-k8s-components)
      --log-flush-frequency duration     Maximum number of seconds between log flushes (default 5s)
      --log_backtrace_at traceLocation   when logging hits line file:N, emit a stack trace (DEPRECATED: will be removed in a future release, see https://github.com/kubernetes/enhancements/tree/master/keps/sig-instrumentation/2845-deprecate-klog-specific-flags-in-k8s-components) (default :0)
      --log_dir string                   If non-empty, write log files in this directory (DEPRECATED: will be removed in a future release, see https://github.com/kubernetes/enhancements/tree/master/keps/sig-instrumentation/2845-deprecate-klog-specific-flags-in-k8s-components)
      --log_file string                  If non-empty, use this log file (DEPRECATED: will be removed in a future release, see https://github.com/kubernetes/enhancements/tree/master/keps/sig-instrumentation/2845-deprecate-klog-specific-flags-in-k8s-components)
      --log_file_max_size uint           Defines the maximum size a log file can grow to. Unit is megabytes. If the value is 0, the maximum file size is unlimited. (DEPRECATED: will be removed in a future release, see https://github.com/kubernetes/enhancements/tree/master/keps/sig-instrumentation/2845-deprecate-klog-specific-flags-in-k8s-components) (default 1800)
      --logtostderr                      log to standard error instead of files (DEPRECATED: will be removed in a future release, see https://github.com/kubernetes/enhancements/tree/master/keps/sig-instrumentation/2845-deprecate-klog-specific-flags-in-k8s-components) (default true)
      --one_output                       If true, only write logs to their native severity level (vs also writing to each lower severity level) (DEPRECATED: will be removed in a future release, see https://github.com/kubernetes/enhancements/tree/master/keps/sig-instrumentation/2845-deprecate-klog-specific-flags-in-k8s-components)
      --skip_headers                     If true, avoid header prefixes in the log messages (DEPRECATED: will be removed in a future release, see https://github.com/kubernetes/enhancements/tree/master/keps/sig-instrumentation/2845-deprecate-klog-specific-flags-in-k8s-components)
      --skip_log_headers                 If true, avoid headers when opening log files (DEPRECATED: will be removed in a future release, see https://github.com/kubernetes/enhancements/tree/master/keps/sig-instrumentation/2845-deprecate-klog-specific-flags-in-k8s-components)
      --stderrthreshold severity         logs at or above this threshold go to stderr (DEPRECATED: will be removed in a future release, see https://github.com/kubernetes/enhancements/tree/master/keps/sig-instrumentation/2845-deprecate-klog-specific-flags-in-k8s-components) (default 2)
  -v, --v Level                          number for the log level verbosity
      --vmodule moduleSpec               comma-separated list of pattern=N settings for file-filtered logging

panic: unable to load configmap based request-header-client-ca-file: Get "https://10.43.0.1:443/api/v1/namespaces/kube-system/configmaps/extension-apiserver-authentication": dial tcp 10.43.0.1:443: i/o timeout

goroutine 1 [running]:
main.main()
        /go/src/sigs.k8s.io/metrics-server/cmd/metrics-server/metrics-server.go:37 +0x94

root@DietN3H:~# kubectl describe pod metrics-server-67c658944b-4kv4g -n kube-system

Name:                 metrics-server-67c658944b-4kv4g
Namespace:            kube-system
Priority:             2000001000
Priority Class Name:  system-node-critical
Service Account:      metrics-server
Node:                 dietn3h/192.168.1.122
Start Time:           Wed, 13 Mar 2024 18:12:13 +0800
Labels:               k8s-app=metrics-server
                      pod-template-hash=67c658944b
Annotations:          <none>
IP:                   10.42.0.29
IPs:
  IP:           10.42.0.29
Controlled By:  ReplicaSet/metrics-server-67c658944b
Containers:
  metrics-server:
    Container ID:  containerd://501c36933f6d254dc1693506173ac5cfb34c609f7bf35a52c2ea0f8a1ca0ebd1
    Image:         rancher/mirrored-metrics-server:v0.6.3
    Image ID:      docker.io/rancher/mirrored-metrics-server@sha256:c2dfd72bafd6406ed306d9fbd07f55c496b004293d13d3de88a4567eacc36558
    Port:          10250/TCP
    Host Port:     0/TCP
    Args:
      --cert-dir=/tmp
      --secure-port=10250
      --kubelet-preferred-address-types=InternalIP,ExternalIP,Hostname
      --kubelet-use-node-status-port
      --metric-resolution=15s
      --tls-cipher-suites=TLS_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384,TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384,TLS_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256,TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256,TLS_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_CHACHA20_POLY1305,TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_CHACHA20_POLY1305
    State:          Waiting
      Reason:       CrashLoopBackOff
    Last State:     Terminated
      Reason:       Error
      Exit Code:    2
      Started:      Mon, 25 Mar 2024 02:52:21 +0800
      Finished:     Mon, 25 Mar 2024 02:52:58 +0800
    Ready:          False
    Restart Count:  2539
    Requests:
      cpu:        100m
      memory:     70Mi
    Liveness:     http-get https://:https/livez delay=60s timeout=1s period=10s #success=1 #failure=3
    Readiness:    http-get https://:https/readyz delay=0s timeout=1s period=2s #success=1 #failure=3
    Environment:  <none>
    Mounts:
      /tmp from tmp-dir (rw)
      /var/run/secrets/kubernetes.io/serviceaccount from kube-api-access-xsj8m (ro)
Conditions:
  Type              Status
  Initialized       True
  Ready             False
  ContainersReady   False
  PodScheduled      True
Volumes:
  tmp-dir:
    Type:       EmptyDir (a temporary directory that shares a pod's lifetime)
    Medium:
    SizeLimit:  <unset>
  kube-api-access-xsj8m:
    Type:                    Projected (a volume that contains injected data from multiple sources)
    TokenExpirationSeconds:  3607
    ConfigMapName:           kube-root-ca.crt
    ConfigMapOptional:       <nil>
    DownwardAPI:             true
QoS Class:                   Burstable
Node-Selectors:              <none>
Tolerations:                 CriticalAddonsOnly op=Exists
                             node-role.kubernetes.io/control-plane:NoSchedule op=Exists
                             node-role.kubernetes.io/master:NoSchedule op=Exists
                             node.kubernetes.io/not-ready:NoExecute op=Exists for 300s
                             node.kubernetes.io/unreachable:NoExecute op=Exists for 300s
Events:
  Type     Reason     Age                     From     Message
  ----     ------     ----                    ----     -------
  Warning  Unhealthy  54m (x3601 over 24h)    kubelet  Readiness probe failed: Get "https://10.42.0.29:10250/readyz": net/http: request canceled while waiting for connection (Client.Timeout exceeded while awaiting headers)
  Warning  Unhealthy  14m (x571 over 24h)     kubelet  Readiness probe failed: Get "https://10.42.0.29:10250/readyz": context deadline exceeded (Client.Timeout exceeded while awaiting headers)
  Warning  BackOff    4m16s (x6055 over 24h)  kubelet  Back-off restarting failed container metrics-server in pod metrics-server-67c658944b-4kv4g_kube-system(cef8eb26-538c-4e87-80c1-1cc9acf12ca6)

journalctl -u k3s

it is too long to capture but most of the log seems not related to the problem.

I think this is the problem:

panic: unable to load configmap based request-header-client-ca-file: Get 
"https://10.43.0.1:443/api/v1/namespaces/kube-system/configmaps/extension-apiserver-authentication": dial tcp 10.43.0.1:443: i/o timeout

But I would recommend to seek help from somebody who has experience with this, because I don’t know how to troubleshoot this particular problem, sry.

Thanks for your reply, Jappe!
Sorry for my delay. I had just had time to take a look at this problem again and agreed that the access to the IP address was the root cause for the crash loop back off error for both local-path-provisioner and metrics-server pods.

The IP 10.43.0.1 was actually the virtual IP inside k3s for the nodes. The problem now is what blocked the IP address from communication. Do you aware the dietpi image built-in with any kind of firewall / iptable which is enabled by default?

there is nothing like this within the default. But might be iptable is used by K3S

1 Like